Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hitachi Carb Q & A

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,902 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

Q: Why won't my car idle?

A: Clogged Emulsion tubes

Q: Do I need a rebuild?

A: Probably not a full rebuild, just remove and blow out the emulsion tubes. Replacing the air horn O-rings helps some too with getting a good spray.

Q: Do I need to remove the carb?

A: No, remove the linkage for the Accel pump and Choke set. Then remove the top of carb (5 screws)

Q: How do I clean the emulsion tubes

A: With top of carb removed, look for 2 solid brass screws. Take them out, under them is the emulsion tubes. Screw them out, and blow them out with compressed air, or a can of brake clean. Repeat the same with the jet/tubes

Q: Should I do anything else?

A: Yes, drain the bowl. 2 screws on the bottom copper washer seals.

If anyone finds this helpful, or has more questions let me know.

I hate seeing people junk or bastardize good subarus with clogged carbs.

Hoping to revive the much maligned Hitachi Carb's name.

#2 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

thanks for posting this. I'm starting to see a lot of the GL's being junked because of gunked up carbs. Makes it nice for us guys who work at subaru shops/junk yards.

I normally keep a rebuild kit in my locker at work, if I see a EA82 carb that isnt fully covered in grease I normally pull it off, rebuild it and put it in a gallon ziplock bag until I need it for my lifted rig :P

Maybe add something about avoiding the Red HEET. It eats the seals/gaskets on carbs. I had to learn the hard way this past winter with mine

#3 O.C.D.

O.C.D.

Subaru Fanatic!

• Validating
  • 690 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

Is Red Heet like Sta-Bil? A winterized stabilizer?

#4 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

no Red Heat = Isopropyl Alcohol - so its literally the same as the 99% rubbing alcohol you can buy in grocery stores.

Yellow Heat = Methyl Alcohol - doesnt eat carb seals/gaskets and you can buy this stuff in bulk. I buy it by the gallon can @ the paint shop.

Stabil = Hydrotreated light naphthenic distillate solvent extract and some other crap in it. Heet isnt really made for fuel storage over time. Depending on what you are wanting to do, I'd use yellow heat for short term storage (and daily driving) If you are storing for 6 months or more, use Stabil

#5 81EA81

81EA81

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 382 posts
  • Spokane,WA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for the quick Q & A. It was a real simple task to clean out the Hitachi. And the improvement is dramatic! My EA81 now has a smooth idle and she will pull all the way to 5k rpm rather then crapping out at 3.5k. I wish I knew about this one sooner.

#6 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

Again thank you for (hopefully) stifling some of the redundancy around here. Ill be trying this out this weekend...

my (california) 86 GL wagon idles fine but craps out under acceleration. fuel filters are gravy.... i know its the carb, which is dirty and foreign to me.

if I dont get it figured out soon im going to attempt an spfi swap, Ive got everything to do it. That said, Id rather make Whitey run with what he brung so to speak.

RV

Edited by Subruise, 24 April 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#7 belacane

belacane

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • New Orleans, LA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for this!

Any chance of any pictures sometime? I'm still a beginner and knowing more about what I'm looking for definitely helps with the confidence :)   (carbs are scary =P)

#8 disom93

disom93

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Galax VA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:10 PM

Anyone give some more info on emulsion tubes my brat will not idle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users