Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1983 GL ujoint?

hey guys, first post here.

been following for a while and finally need some usmb lovin

been rebuildin my 1983 GL wagon and have hit a small problem

my rear ujoint is rusted through and needs to be replaced. sooo, i am having trouble finding a replacement (figures ha!) does any one have any info on were to order one? or if the they would measure the same as the 1985+? i think the loayle meassures .867 and 1.400 but im not sure if this is the same for my 83? i know the napa near me has the older justy sized ujoints ( i think its .791 and 1.285) do you guys know if any of these will work for my wagon? or do i need to search else where ? not too many p&pulls in my area, ad not many scraps to choose from. i know rockforddriveline has good products but i dont think they man pre 85 products? i dunno, im lost.

any directions im sure would be helpful (photos to be posted after!!!!!!!)

thanks-

i guess i should pull it off and measure it myself but its rusted and soaking in some stuff over night so i was seeing if could order somthing while im waiting... also i was gonna try driving it with the drive shaft off (so 2wd while i get the parts) but i guess it'll leak the tranny fluid out... is my assumption correct?

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have never driven without the rear driveshaft, but you would have two issues that I can think of: First you would possibly get a lot of dirt in the transmission. Second I am sure the trans would spray oil everywhere and possibly run dry. Both cases could cause the trans to fail. I would say this is not a good idea unless this is the only option.

Hi, I have just picked up a rear u-joint for my 84 wagon. I have yet to install it so Im not certian its correct, but its a Precision brand in a yellow box. Part number is 391. purchased from NAPA.

As far as the drive shaft goes. an ordinary aerosol cap will fit near perfectly in the rear output of the transmission where the yoke of the drive shaft goes in.Just electrical tape it up. I havnt run my car like this but it will seal it up real good while the driveshaft is out.

NOTE: as soon as you pull the shaft from the tranny it will start leaking.

good luck