Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Member. Home Made Lift.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Budget

Budget

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Reading, PA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

My user name says it all. I got my 89 GL 4WD for free and now am doing a home made lift kit. So far I believe the rear is about 7 inches tall. I'm still working on the front and trying to figure out if I should just drop the radius arms or lengthen them. I used my old wrangler bumper to make my drop brackets for everything which is almost a 5 inch drop. I've seen anything past 6 inches of lift you need a transfer case? and stack the motor mounts? Well, its a budget build, so I guess I'll do some trial and error and see how it turns out. Any input is apprectiated. Glad to be on board!
Posted Image

#2 AdventureSubaru

AdventureSubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 706 posts
  • Scotts Valley, CA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

Grew up in Reading area and lived there until about 2 years ago. Was actually out there this past Thursday. Welcome aboard!

Jeep bumper? This I gotta see. More pics of how you're going about this would be helpful. Lots of wisdom on this board should help as you get farther on your lift.

#3 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 790 posts
  • PNW

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

Wow that's quite a rake you've got :D

#4 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

no you dont need a t-case with anything over 6 inches. It takes 6 inch lift + subframe to mount a t-case under that style car is what I think you are referring to.

I would suggest dropping the radius rods 3 or 4 inches and then extending the radius rods a bit, or make some adjustable ones. and no need to double stack engine mounts just drop your engine x-member down and extend your steering shaft, Unless you are designing custom CV axles, the trans needs to be dropped with the engine crossmember. the EA82 axles dont like much for than 2 inches lift over stock

oh and welcome to the board!

#5 Budget

Budget

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Reading, PA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

Appreciate the input. Yeah I have all drop brackets made and installed in the front, just wasn't sure which way I wanted to go with the radius arms since these cars already have clearance issues.

Sjr lift:
8" Lift Kit EA82: steering shaft must be lengthened (not offered by SJR), all steel parts ,requires no modification to suspension parts, this is the lift you need if now or later you will add a 2nd transfercase and a front Diff.

This is what confused me about needing a transfer case.

#6 Budget

Budget

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Reading, PA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

Since these rear struts bottom out after like 2 extra inches, has anyone found a strut from another car that needs little to no modification to raise it a few inches? I hate the idea of using a bracket to lower the position of it and am contemplating sliding a round sleeve around the bottom of the shock and extend it that way. I also tried using my awd eclipse struts which looked pretty similar, but they ended up staying the same height after my lowering springs settle. Who woulda knew :-\

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users