Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Member. Home Made Lift.

Budget

My user name says it all. I got my 89 GL 4WD for free and now am doing a home made lift kit. So far I believe the rear is about 7 inches tall. I'm still working on the front and trying to figure out if I should just drop the radius arms or lengthen them. I used my old wrangler bumper to make my drop brackets for everything which is almost a 5 inch drop. I've seen anything past 6 inches of lift you need a transfer case? and stack the motor mounts? Well, its a budget build, so I guess I'll do some trial and error and see how it turns out. Any input is apprectiated. Glad to be on board!

superjew2.jpg

no you dont need a t-case with anything over 6 inches. It takes 6 inch lift + subframe to mount a t-case under that style car is what I think you are referring to.

I would suggest dropping the radius rods 3 or 4 inches and then extending the radius rods a bit, or make some adjustable ones. and no need to double stack engine mounts just drop your engine x-member down and extend your steering shaft, Unless you are designing custom CV axles, the trans needs to be dropped with the engine crossmember. the EA82 axles dont like much for than 2 inches lift over stock

oh and welcome to the board!

Appreciate the input. Yeah I have all drop brackets made and installed in the front, just wasn't sure which way I wanted to go with the radius arms since these cars already have clearance issues.

Sjr lift:

8" Lift Kit EA82: steering shaft must be lengthened (not offered by SJR), all steel parts ,requires no modification to suspension parts, this is the lift you need if now or later you will add a 2nd transfercase and a front Diff.

This is what confused me about needing a transfer case.

Since these rear struts bottom out after like 2 extra inches, has anyone found a strut from another car that needs little to no modification to raise it a few inches? I hate the idea of using a bracket to lower the position of it and am contemplating sliding a round sleeve around the bottom of the shock and extend it that way. I also tried using my awd eclipse struts which looked pretty similar, but they ended up staying the same height after my lowering springs settle. Who woulda knew :-\