Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82t heads

Im so glad that all the ea82 t engine are long dead round here wost subaru engine ever ! cracked heads blown gaskets droped guides stuck lifters broken pistons knocking rods water in the oil split hoses over preshured rads oil leaks ect. I can only think of one of those engines thats still on the road round here in a 88 rx. Put a 2.2 in it and you will be way hapyer

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen images of cracked EA82 heads getting welded back up.  A mechanic grinds a big valley along the crack, then fills the area w/ weld.  Then head gets machined again to install the seats....bla-bla-bla.

Has anyone had this type of work done to their head?  If so, how did it go?  Are there any facts or figures on the performance & reliability of a welded head?  

I'd love to buy a little GL, but not if the motor's are unstable and unable to be rebuilt.  

I'd opt to buy a legacy wagon with the 2.2 and probably never look back.  I know a motor swap is popular, but I dont have the space or time  to fool with that sort of thing.

Great Thread BTW.  I've gleaned lots of info from this single thread.  Thanks

Edited by GRANDLOYALE

I've seen images of cracked EA82 heads getting welded back up.  A mechanic grinds a big valley along the crack, then fills the area w/ weld.  Then head gets machined again to install the seats....bla-bla-bla.

Has anyone had this type of work done to their head?  If so, how did it go?  Are there any facts or figures on the performance & reliability of a welded head?  

I'd love to buy a little GL, but not if the motor's are unstable and unable to be rebuilt.  

I'd opt to buy a legacy wagon with the 2.2 and probably never look back.  I know a motor swap is popular, but I dont have the space or time  to fool with that sort of thing.

Great Thread BTW.  I've gleaned lots of info from this single thread.  Thanks

The non turbo EA82s are tough little clockwerk motors.  Rev smooth and quick, decent mileage:power ratio........all in all not so bad.  They only crack between the valve seats and that's not a fatal issue for them generally.  leaky and weak timing belts but all in all good cheap engines.

GL's with non turbo are a great car.....adn putting an EJ18 or 22 in later is very possible/plausible option.

The Turbo engines are the really crappy ones.....decent in stock form, well maintained, and not THRASHED  but try to mod it or run it hard or let maintainence go and they are done for.  Not really worth welding the heads up.

Yes had a set of rebiuld ea82 heads from machine shop were sold as new and had coolant leaking from under the welds the aluminum is porus and has carbon inpregnated into it is almost impossible to weld and will pass a preshure test. But when it gets hot leaks I have never seen one welded that worked and have lost many hours on junk rebiuld heads. Find good used ones I dont even think I saved any I hated that motor so mutch dam coolant burning ea82s

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I see EA82 motors at my wrecking yard each time I visit.  9 times out of 10 the motor has never been touched, the bodys are straight, glass is good and interiors complete and hardly damaged.  Sometimes the motors look fantastic, hardly even oily.  Many of the odometers have 200K (+) but not all of them. 

I often wonder why are so many of these wagons routinely getting tossed away to the scrap yard?  AND why is no one taking the heads off of these motors.  

Is a bad  head the number one reason these cars get scrapped?  Do mechanics tell these Subaru owners that their head is blow and that there is no hope?

I read that some light aircraft actually use EA82 engines to power their airplanes.  Where are they getting their heads???  Why are they not worried about blowing a head gasket over a mountain pass.

I hope that the OP'er found an EA82T head to fix his prob.

There is no real issue with the heads on the non-turbo cars.  HG issues are probably due to the gasket dying from old-age or from overheating.  Many of the cars in the wrecking yards probably have a broken timing belt, or a rotor screw that backed out, ot one of any number of minor things that people don't want to futz with,

So happy to hear you guys talking about this tpic. Just dropped an EA82 to be remanufactured today and came on the web to learn more about the head as it seems the weak point. I was wondering if there was any source of new better heads. (sounds like no, only the option of gen 3, which are suspect about being better anyway) and confirms my Idea that looking to the cooling system may be key. Thanks!
                                                                                                                                                               Patty

My EA82T has lasted my 20k miles without head issues, and it gets driven fairly hard on the regular.  Also, it has 103k on the clock.  Supposedly the last owner did a head job at 80kish.

Also, in response to the cooling system issues, I drove over 10k without a functioning water pump and it did fine.  Of course I don't' recommend this, but it never overheated (on mountain passes in southern california it did raise the needle a bit, but nothing crazy).  I finally pulled the water pump to inspect it, and found the impeller had completely rusted away.  Needless to say I was impressed at how it hadn't overheated, and immediately bought a new water pump.  Who knows how long the previous owner had drove it like that...

To sum all this up, I think the EA82T is a fine engine IF maintained well.  I have done a ton of maintenance to mine, and it finally is "happy."  And after discovering it had lasted so long without a water pump (and it had a huge coolant leak from a rotted freeze plug for most of those miles), I was more impressed with the cooling system (and now I don't really believe most of the "EA82T is a giant pile of poo" posts on here).  Good luck!

So happy to hear you guys talking about this tpic. Just dropped an EA82 to be remanufactured today and came on the web to learn more about the head as it seems the weak point. I was wondering if there was any source of new better heads. (sounds like no, only the option of gen 3, which are suspect about being better anyway) and confirms my Idea that looking to the cooling system may be key. Thanks!

Patty

B.C./O.C., keep us posted on your rebuild.  I'm really curious about your summery on the rebuild.  What car / wagon did this motor come out of?  How long have you owned it?  What reasons prompted you to get it rebuilt?

I once owned an Isuzu Trooper 4 cyl.  The Trooper forums were on fire with talk about bad heads, blown motors, bad valves and weak designs.  Each person complained of overheating and bad heads.  There were a hand full of owners who addressed the overheating problem by properly maintaining their cooling system.  I read that old radiators loose their capacity to cool because the passage ways get clogged with crap, sediment builds up at the bottom of the radiator, water pumps slowly loose their push, thermostats can fail...so making sure that the cooling system is as good as can be only makes sense.  I had my Trooper radiator cleaned at a local shop for about $40, put in a new thermostat and I never had a head issue or temperature issue ever.

It seems that the EA82 non-turbo heads have been given a bad rap.  Lots of folks who actually drive EA82's love them and have not experienced an out of the ordinary amount of motor problems.  Seems that there is some unfair bias against the EA82 for some reason, perhaps because it has the least power.  Seems the hype is pretty stiff against this motor.

I appreciate all the good info on this site and really thank the folks who voice their opinions and experiences w/ these motors.  It sure helps allot and clears up some of the fog surrounding the hype.

B.C./O.C., keep us posted on your rebuild.  I'm really curious about your summery on the rebuild.  What car / wagon did this motor come out of?  How long have you owned it?  What reasons prompted you to get it rebuilt?

I once owned an Isuzu Trooper 4 cyl.  The Trooper forums were on fire with talk about bad heads, blown motors, bad valves and weak designs.  Each person complained of overheating and bad heads.  There were a hand full of owners who addressed the overheating problem by properly maintaining their cooling system.  I read that old radiators loose their capacity to cool because the passage ways get clogged with crap, sediment builds up at the bottom of the radiator, water pumps slowly loose their push, thermostats can fail...so making sure that the cooling system is as good as can be only makes sense.  I had my Trooper radiator cleaned at a local shop for about $40, put in a new thermostat and I never had a head issue or temperature issue ever.

It seems that the EA82 non-turbo heads have been given a bad rap.  Lots of folks who actually drive EA82's love them and have not experienced an out of the ordinary amount of motor problems.  Seems that there is some unfair bias against the EA82 for some reason, perhaps because it has the least power.  Seems the hype is pretty stiff against this motor.

I appreciate all the good info on this site and really thank the folks who voice their opinions and experiences w/ these motors.  It sure helps allot and clears up some of the fog surrounding the hype.

Word!!!