Ultimate Subaru Message Board

O.C.D.'s 1980 Brat - "The Squirrel"

O.C.D.

So the days are short which means less time after work outside. After work I decided to tackle the grille and started with the "4WD" emblem. I spent about three hours scratching/scraping/removing the odd paint/resin that filled the badge. I noticed that it has an almost Cherry Blossom Red (STI) color and a bit of brown.

More on that later. Here is a pic that shows why I love where I live in Colorado.

photo1-2.jpg

Here is the badge with one letter left.

photo2-9.jpg

photo3-10.jpg

And here with no resin/paint.

photo1-1-3.jpg

Proper prep is removal of grease and wax. Sanded down the piece with 600 grit.

photo2-1-3.jpg

In the last pic above you can see what I am planning. Enamel model paints are great for exterior details. I got flat white, red and brown.

photo4-7.jpg

Primed after alcohol wipe.

photo3-1-3.jpg

Mixed what I felt to be a close color and it definitely looks like Cherry Blossom.

photo1-3-2.jpg

photo4-1-2.jpg

And some patience and a couple mistakes we have a winner.

photo2-3-2.jpg

photo3-3-2.jpg

Based on what I removed and some research it looks pretty close. I am thrilled and when this all dries I will be doing the white border again.

Next is the full grille. Should be easy. Leaving the center emblem alone to retain some stock/vintage look.

Great work! :clap:

After all that hard work you'll be pleased to hear I don't have a NOS 4WD badge!

(I do have 2 brand-new-in-packet grilles, and 2 centre badges still in their shrink-wrap, though)...

Keep up the good work!

While I am at it I have another issue that I seek help on. For the love of Pete can I get some responses, lol.

Rewired new turnsignal units into the Squirrel the other night and there are no blinkers? As see in the picture below the passenger side running light is on. Well, that is still the case.

IMG_0666.jpg

Side marker lights are dead too. My wiring is right but as I am learning this vehicle I wanted to ask you all if you have a quick idea where to start looking.

Thanks.

The grille was less than fun but I have it completed as well.

Spent about 3 hours sanding it with 400 and simple green water.

photo1-9.jpg

photo2-10.jpg

photo3-11.jpg

Here is the metal bar I put under the front lip to bend it back straight. JB Weld took care of it.

photo1-1-4.jpg

photo4-8.jpg

Bad pictures but all I could do with no good light and being inside.

Primed it up after an alcohol cleaning.

photo2-1-4.jpg

Then I did flat black like every other thing that is black on the Brat. It was too dark outside so it has a few runs but I can live with it.

photo3-1-4.jpg

photo4-1-3.jpg

I finally got to something I have wanted to do since I started this project - polish the steel on the grille/hood. My trusty Dremel and some Brasso to the rescue as usual. I love this combo.

photo1-3-3.jpg

By by 33 years of crud.

photo2-3-3.jpg

photo4-3-3.jpg

photo3-3-3.jpg

I even did the chromed plastic on the hood lip and the center badge.

photo2-4-3.jpg

photo1-4-3.jpg

Thankfully no burn through on the plastic.

And of course I finished the "4WD" from the other night. This was tricky and just a few screw ups but I am very happy with it overall.

4wd1.jpg

4wd2.jpg

I'll touch up the little white bleeds and call it a day. Tonight I will reassemble it all and she is ready to go back on the Squirrel.

Edited by O.C.D.

• 4 weeks later...

What an excellent display of patient and thoughtful metalwork. You are an inspiration. Your photo play by play is super informative. Congradulations. Please don't stop, I have a 79 BRAT and you are showing just what to expect in different areas of concern. Jim

Kind of doing something different for a bit. Bought a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon with a manual. SO now all of my time and money is going to that.

Soooo glad to be back in a turbo, so glad. I am tuning it right now, did a short shifter, tinting it, uppipe, etc....

She is exactly what I wanted.

IMG_2172.jpg

I am debating selling the Brat actually. I get this way though and like to bounce around with projects. :Flame:

Ok, my 1980 Brat GL which I affectionately call "The Squirrel". I was rocking a 2011 WRX that I was modding the heck out of when I started working on my Brothers '81 GL Wagon one night. I enjoyed the old car so much I realized that it was the right time to buy a Subaru I have always wanted. I located the Brat about 5 hours away in Colbran Colorado. After some negotiation she was mine. Not the prettiest nor the best candidate for a runner but she was what I had to have.

1980SubaruBratfrontleft.jpg

1980SubaruBratfrontright.jpg

1980SubaruBratrear.jpg

1980SubaruBratspeedo.jpg

Bed.jpg

Snagged her up for $500 and never looked back.

Day I picked her up. Ran and moved under her own power. Looked a mess and had me wondering if I should have bought a different one. But, it was too late and she was mine.

IMG_0661.jpg

Word of advice, don't use a Jeep Wrangler to tow, lol. But my truck fell through and that was all I could do. So I towed her the three hours home.

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

Right on! I think the squirrel might have been mine about 8-10 yrs. ago... It looks like it, with the 1600-sing range trans and faded stripes,it was a pretty good for a ranch trk. except IT DID NOT LIKE THE RIVERBED[sand] sing rang trans don"t like sand!!! Anyway nice job on the redo-I bet the GF or wife just love the grille in the tub-HAHA!

While I am at it I have another issue that I seek help on. For the love of Pete can I get some responses, lol.

Rewired new turnsignal units into the Squirrel the other night and there are no blinkers? As see in the picture below the passenger side running light is on. Well, that is still the case.

IMG_0666.jpg

Side marker lights are dead too. My wiring is right but as I am learning this vehicle I wanted to ask you all if you have a quick idea where to start looking.

Thanks.

The old school subie"s had fuse box issues if u did not know, they got hot......so ******.that,flasher? The frt. mark light is on with the lights so that looks ok. Side mark light hmmm

Right on! I think the squirrel might have been mine about 8-10 yrs. ago... It looks like it, with the 1600-sing range trans and faded stripes,it was a pretty good for a ranch trk. except IT DID NOT LIKE THE RIVERBED[sand] sing rang trans don"t like sand!!! Anyway nice job on the redo-I bet the GF or wife just love the grille in the tub-HAHA!

So you are part of the reason she was that bad, huh?!

J/K. You are the second person to say that they owned this Brat. I wonder how much she got around?

So you are part of the reason she was that bad, huh?!

J/K. You are the second person to say that they owned this Brat. I wonder how much she got around?

:eek: Whoa here!! When I had it it was pretty straight...It had the lft. rear amber part of the taillight broke but everything else was good...cracked windshield....I just used it for checking the fence I did not work it-I had a D/R wgn. I used for ranch work-I was already using it for my ranch trk.:headbang: so the brat WAS spared from the ABUSE of working for it"s keep!!! I don"t do single ranges for the simple reason being I don"t see why! They are good for commuting that"s all!:) It didn"t have that Frt.bump.on it when I had it...It"s not my style + that thing probably WEIGHS a TON!! It had the stock bumper on it when I had it soooo.....It came with two other cars I got at the time so that"s how I got it!! I"m glad it has a happy home now if it was my old 1, I prefer wgn"s.-I can sleep in them camping if the weather is crappy!! It kills me to see them at the JY:(:mad:!!!

• 2 months later...

New updates? No.

She has become a trash receptacle as of late and getting buried with other "life" stuff. I also attribute this to the weather and my new Son. I just have no time.

But I am not giving up on her and I may have a new sibling for her (1979 Wagon) soon. Then I get to swap some much needed parts.

Time and money are not my friends this winter..

New updates? No.

She has become a trash receptacle as of late and getting buried with other "life" stuff. I also attribute this to the weather and my new Son. I just have no time.

But I am not giving up on her and I may have a new sibling for her (1979 Wagon) soon. Then I get to swap some much needed parts.

Time and money are not my friends this winter..

Well congrats on the son! And I do understand the no money and weather haha

She has become a trash receptacle as of late...

I know THAT feeling! LOL. The bed of my Brat is the "temporary storage" place for all things that don't want to be put away right now by all members of the family. It takes me a 1/2 hour to put it all away anytime I want to drive her!

-Ben