Ultimate Subaru Message Board

O.C.D.'s 1980 Brat - "The Squirrel"

O.C.D.

Hey! Congrats on the boy.... I know about time not being friendly-My 700mi.daily commute has gone down to once a wk.now....It"s fun trying to buy a car on the run-HAHA, I was comin to Den. an seen a 83 wgn. for $500. in Rifle stopped for 15 min. gave him $400. came back 5 days later an drove it to Delta w/a dead hole-30mph over the Grand MESA was fun!! Then came back to Den. to get some parts AND Bikes {I Collect M/Cs too W/Subies}...Maybe 1 of these months I"ll get back to work too if the weather gets straight-Snow or get off the Pot[toilet]!!! I have projects to do too,Like ICE FISHIN Be nice!!! Nice job on Squirrel there ALOT of hrs.TOO!! I go thru that on the Bikes-at least you don"t have to polish each spoke at a time HAHA!! Springs comin though an can work outside again Yee Haa!! Nice job again O.C.D. Nate :D

• 1 month later...

Well, the Squirrel is about to come out of garage hibernation and get some love finally.

Picked up some '02 WRX seats for her.  Almost want to put them in the Legacy, hmmmm.....

photo4_zps16827f9b.jpg

Speaking of Legacy she went Stage 2 this last weekend.  Can't wait for the tune to finish.  And since I don't want to start another thread here is some eye candy.

photo3_zps6705686a.jpg

photo2_zpsa140263a.jpg

COBB FTW!!!

photo1_zps4cdc7b4c.jpg

Snagged some JDM 5Zigen wheels as well.  Refinishing them as we speak.

IMG_3066_zps61103f13.jpg

IMG_3065_zpsbd05a36b.jpg

IMG_3061_zps4e4dae4a.jpg

So maybe next time this thread will be update with work on the "Vintage Subaru", lol.

Edited by O.C.D.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally got some time to work on the Squirrel!  I discovered that late nights are the only time I get to work on her but I am trying.

Pulled the motor to start the reseal.  Lots to talk about and I will try and address it all.  So far though, tearing apart an EA71 has taken a couple hours once out.  I just hope I can get her all back together, lol.

photo1_zpsa8c254df.jpg

photo2_zpsa34d031f.jpg

photo3_zpsae66df9b.jpg

photo4_zps5fc03584.jpg

The night we pulled it immediately I went to the rear main as I have been thinking it was leaking this whole time.  So off with the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel.  The clutch was soaked with more oil than a motorcycle clutchpak!!  I am betting this is why it shifted like crap. Cleaned up the bell housing..

photo4_zps2510c784.jpg

Pulled rear main of course...

photo3_zps335ad97e.jpg

New vs old - old was fine.

photo1_zpsfee7d5d3.jpg

New rear main...

photo4_zps4b864f29.jpg

photo3_zps310ded74.jpg

Cleaned up the flywheel as well.  I don't feel anything other than oil on there.  No gouging or burn marks that are to worry about.  Going to reuse and roll the dice.

photo3_zps03b06a0a.jpg

photo1_zps15634d6e.jpg

I think my main issue resides in the trans though as there are puddles of fluid sitting there. 

photo1_zps1603f910.jpg

This was all done on a late night.  My next job was to organize and get ready for the teardown. First order of business was to make a darn stand.  I had the engine rigged and I was not liking it.  So I used the diagram from the "How to Keep Your Subaru Alive" PDF.

IMG_3526_zpsf484ba63.png

Clutch is worn thin and separating.

IMG_3528_zps6d860f2b.jpg

IMG_3529_zpsadb76c9a.jpg

Pressure plate is caked in oil.

IMG_3530_zps4d25af1c.jpg

IMG_3532_zpseabb7649.jpg

Pilot bearing was non-existent.  Notice that the remnants of the pilot bearing are still in there.  Any ideas on how to get that out? I did find the seal though. It was laying in the bottom pan with the clutch return springs that were snapped.

IMG_3533_zpse99ad3ed.jpg

IMG_3534_zps56db3fd8.jpg

So here is the stand and it works perfectly!

IMG_3535_zps4531b396.jpg

IMG_3537_zpsf9bcf028.jpg

I already pulled the motor and I did it by removing the motor mount buts.  That was a lesson learned as I now know that it is easier to remove the motor mount supports.  So I placed them back home for now and also took another pic to show the oil from the trans,

IMG_3538_zps2eca72cb.jpg

IMG_3539_zps85665e30.jpg

I will need to learn the tolerances asap of course but all valves have almost a 1/16th" of play when not in use?!  Any links to valve adjustments?

IMG_3540_zps43db6a88.jpg

IMG_3541_zps2d4b42b6.jpg

As I already rebuilt the oil pump last year I am not taking it apart.  I wasn't even gong to remove the filter until I found my parts stash - all OEM baby!  Any way, the oil pressure switch wasn't bad either but I looked at it and then wondered if the one of my 2011 WRX would fit?  Well, I'll be danged if it isn't the same part?!  So why not throw it in.

IMG_3542_zps3f140aa9.jpg

IMG_3546_zps1221a856.jpg

Cleaned up the block before install.

IMG_3547_zps14637f20.jpg

A little pipe thread - yes I know this is not the oil type tape.

IMG_3549_zps2527b1f9.jpg

And installed.

IMG_3550_zps316bd542.jpg

So I really needed to get to the point - head gaskets.  Why?  I have been wanting to see if the heads are cracked and or leaking and if the pistons were oiled.  So off with the intake manifold and the spider of a carb setup.

IMG_3543_zps502cb382.jpg

IMG_3551_zps2efe0bd7.jpg

Somewhat carboned and built up but really wet heads on the pistons.

IMG_3553_zps45d0f8c5.jpg

I can still see cross-hatching!!!

IMG_3554_zps7ce3cc44.jpg

Old vs. new

IMG_3555_zps33a62b1d.jpg

Once the heads were off the cleaning began.  Brake cleaner is the best thing I have found for old dirty metals.  Well that and a series of brushes to scrub the dirt and grime off.

IMG_3556_zps8ecf7b7c.jpg

IMG_3557_zpsfe284571.jpg

IMG_3558_zps0d10c2f0.jpg

IMG_3559_zps34781685.jpg

IMG_3560_zpse147daa7.jpg

IMG_3561_zps35381c83.jpg

So, on the way to a cleaned up block and need to of course do the oil pan gasket.  Did the OEM and lithium grease trick, lol  Also did a new drain plug and crush washer.  PO had no washer and torques the drain bolt to probably 100lbs!!!

Before.

IMG_3562_zpseb1d05ea.jpg

IMG_3563_zps349b1008.jpg

IMG_3564_zps90ee5fe2.jpg

IMG_3565_zps1337fad7.jpg

IMG_3566_zps30d27781.jpg

Cleaned up and ready to re-seal.

IMG_3567_zpse54f1926.jpg

And new cork gasket and plug.   Looks like before but not internally, lol.

IMG_3569_zps4e41f408.jpg

Next up is this....

IMG_3570_zpsdebb8939.jpg

Sorry if some of the pics are really washed out.  I have these natural light fluorescents and they are just bright.  iPhone can't decide what to do, lol.

So USMB, what do I do about that pilot bearing housing stuck in the crankshaft?

Who has the tolerances for an EA71 and can show me the best way to do it without the special tool?

Based on the picks and that the block was not leaking anywhere, I know it has to be the transmission.  Where do I start on that one?

You don't happen to have access to a slide hammer do you?  One of those with the right grip end would take that bearing right out.

Hmm, had not thought of that.  They have heads that are that small?

I have something like this for pilot bearings:

http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Pilot-Bearing-Puller/dp/B000X282DM

Without the pilot bearing the input shaft not supported enough, it could be what caused the seal in the trans to leak.

Thankfully I have a new pilot and seal. I too feel this is why it was leaking.

I haven't pulled the trans yet because I been tearing apart the motor. Aside from the bottom end she is getting it all. I have tons more pictures.

Thanks for the link.

Posting on my phone so I am doing duplicate posts, sorry.

Can you all tell me about the heads and torquing them after she runs again? If I torque them to specs should I really need to re-torque after a few heat cycles/few hundred miles? Subaru torques them at the factory and then they don't get another check, or do they? I am sure the studs are already stretched, right? Any insight would be appreciated.

Also what spark plugs are you all using? Autozone pulled up standard NGKcoppers. What is odd is they have a 20 mm or about 13/16's hex on them?! Can we use anything more modern? I don't car about platinums or anything too fancy.

Thanks.

Me personally, if it says to do a retorque I'd give it a retorque.  We a head gasket job on a buddy's cherokee a few years back, and he didn't want to go through the trouble of pulling the valve covers back off to do the retorque.  Failed again about 6 months ago.  Everything else was done by the book except the retorque. Originally the jeep had 175k on it when we tore it down, only got 50k out of it the second time.

Alright then I will retorque.  Just learning the ropes so to speak.  First engine reseal and all.

I am almost complete on the engine.  Got another late night under the belt.  But who needs sleep?

Both heads cleaned like no other and back on with the new gaskets.

photo3_zpsf50fac7b.jpg

photo2_zps66061487.jpg

Got the old pilot bearing out as well.  Easy as can be.  I just grabbed a small grinding stone on the dremel and went at it.  Slipped out after the cut.

photo2_zps0821cd5b.jpg

photo1_zpsd64f4de0.jpg

New pilot hammered in with a socket.  Some grease and a new gasket and we are ready for the trans-shaft.

photo4_zpsc2319ca6.jpg

photo1_zps14446049.jpg

photo2_zpsc9ccc15c.jpg

I was sad cause I took some of the Subaru blue off of the valve covers when cleaning them.  Caked on 33 year-old grime and oil are not easy as many of you know.  So, I decided it was time to use some of the VHT paint I had laying around.  Since some of the older Subies had black engine accents I thought it would be good.

photo1_zpsf723cdd7.jpg

photo2_zps7910e826.jpg

photo3_zps72d87a48.jpg

photo4_zps205076b3.jpg

Did the lithium grease on the cork trick and installed the new valve gaskets and bolt gaskets.  It almost looks factory new!

photo4_zpsd9b7dc39.jpg

photo1_zps2c3b8cfe.jpg

NOS clutch and a NOS pressure plate as well.  Amazingly small - I still can't get it out of my head, lol.  But 67 HP is not exactly a clutch burner.

photo3_zps9b616839.jpg

photo4_zpsaae5ffe7.jpg

photo1_zps67a71687.jpg

photo2_zps27bdf847.jpg

All torqued and threadlocked up.  Didn't have a clutch tool so I had to improvise with sockets and vision.  Hope I am close enough.

photo3_zps97d6c918.jpg

SO, other than the cleaning of the carb and mounting it back on, I am finished with the re-seal of the engine.  I am quite pleased.

photo4_zps68e505d2.jpg

photo2_zps28dc75ec.jpg

Another couple questions for you all.

1.  As the 1980 has an external voltage regulator, what is the best replacement part? 

2.  My Alternator is clicking when I spin it.  I do not necessary want to rebuild it (if I can prevent).

I checked Rock Auto but I wanted to see what you all do for these Gen 1 Brats/Wagons, etc...

Cheaper ones or?

Thanks!

Edited by O.C.D.

Also forgot to add these couple pics.

When I had the heads of I noticed the typical cracks (from what I have learned) in between the intake and exhaust valves.

IMG_3579_zps9a72e078.jpg

IMG_3580_zpsa2aff876.jpg

I don't know if I mentioned but I also replaced all the exhaust manifold studs as well.  The PO had only three in there and he used gasket sealer to make it work - it didn't, lol.  One was kind of stripped but I could get enough for a tight hold.  Used lots of red loctite.

IMG_3582_zps83b74bf0.jpg

IMG_3574_zps7bb3f39c.jpg

Another thing that was bad was the leads for the distributor.  They were flimsy and weak.  Some places they were worn through and the copper corroded.  So I improvised and made a new lead that looks factory.

Here is the old one.

IMG_3586_zpsb2bc67cd.jpg

Found some 14 gauge speaker wire but it was too big.

IMG_3587_zps5baae92a.jpg

Used some 16 gauge and pulled the pigtails out of the connector.  Soldered on the new leads and the heat shrank them both.

IMG_3589_zps94fb2279.jpg

This allowed for a complete cleaning - was full of oil.

IMG_3588_zps1c06e2bc.jpg

I then twisted them like OEM.

IMG_3590_zps90ab1acb.jpg

I was barely able to get the heat shrink the wires?!  I had to use foot powder to make it slide.  I then shrank it and I have a brand new lead.

IMG_3591_zps718ed006.jpg

Connected it up to the old leads which were good in the disty housing.

IMG_3592_zps5aa029c3.jpg

And done!!!  I need to gap to "0.014 I think still.

IMG_3593_zpsfc0aa1b5.jpg

I have never seen such detail and effort to bring a Brat back. I think it's great! Plus you had the part numbers for the bushings on the mustache bar. Big help. Going to have a shop press them in tomorrow. Gave it a effort but the old ones were not budging. How have you managed to find some of these old part numbers? My local dealer is useless when it comes to our old Brats. I just buy parts online.