Ultimate Subaru Message Board

O.C.D.'s 1980 Brat - "The Squirrel"

O.C.D.

After having kids, and also having to compete with a gazillion SUVs on the CA highways in my little Brat, I went the route of just letting her be a garage-filler for the most part. I only drive her occasionally around town, or to camping adventures on a road that's 55mph, or up into the hills on fire roads behind our house. For the most part, she's just a  pretty garage ornament. Yep. Kids change priorities.... but they love riding in the back!

Well, I am not sure my Son will get the chance as he is 6 months old.  It was an ambitious project for the non-kid guy in me.  I thought about giving it to my Brother but he has kids as well.

In the end I am seeing the need for a boat anyway.  The Wife is really hinting at that lately and I think it is time I oblige her wants as well.  Trying to be less selfish I guess....

When it comes down to it all that remains is:

Rest of the body prep.

Painting.

Brakes need a once over.

Might need a cv or bearing in the front.

Lighting gremlins.

I am debating if fixing these things is worth it or just throwing her on Craigslist.

Ah, but paint means priming.  Priming means sealing.  Sealing means
bodywork.  Bodywork means filling.  Filling means sanding to bare metal,
lol.  You get the drift. 

If I really keep going I know it wont be ready for a while and I am just about finished.

What I have listed up there is FAR less than what needs to be done.

Good luck with the sale. You have done a great job, it's well worth more than the asking price. If I didn't have so many cars, I would consider shipping it out here, but I have way too many as it is. Hope it goes to a good home!

Agreed.. You have done a lot of great work on that car.. I would feel guilty bringing home another Brat when mine is being neglected.

Thank you both!

I am scared it won't sell though. Anyone that wants one is on here, lol.

Time will tell.

Edited by O.C.D.

• 1 month later...

I just bought the Squirrel!

My wife has been wanting a Brat for a while so for our first year anniversary I decided to find her one as a surprise.    However, they are really hard to find and when you finally do find one, its been setting aside a barn for the last decade.   I was fully prepared to take on a project, but wanted a decent starting point.   My jaw dropped when I came across this build on  one of my nightly eBay crawls.   I was astonished by the list of new parts and description of work that went in to breathing life back into this ol' girl.   

I contacted Jon and asked what his reserve was and promptly put in a bid.  A few nervous days latter and I WON!   I was super excited to get to finish off the build, and today I asked my friend Sam, who owns a GL wagon, if he knew of any Subaru forums so I could start educating myself on everything vintage Subaru.   He pointed this forum out, and low and behold I find this thread on the BRAT I just bought.  

Jon, I am amazed by the amount of effort and craftsmanship you have put in to this project.   I will continue this thread so you and  everyone else can see this thing complete.  

.... Now, theres the looming 9 hour drives to come pick it up....

• Like 2

Ok, Brett you are two steps ahead of me, lol.  I was going to lead you here as well and show you this great site.  Lots of wonderful info and countless resources.

By now I am sure you have read through the thread.  You really can see where I have taken her.  I am glad you are enthusiastic about taking her home and continuing.  Like I stated in the for sale adds, she is not perfect but will be a fantastic foundation to finish.

Congrats again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well Brett and his Wife came on Saturday and the Brat is gone.  I am sad but these two are really going to make a happy home for the Squirrel.

Best part of the sale is the Brat wouldn't stay running.  Has to be a fuel issue.  They tried to drive it around the block but she kept dying.  I have never seen two people so happy to not be able to drive something they drove 9 hours to get, lol.

Good luck to you both!

We made it back to Kansas City this morning around 3am.   It was a long drive, but totally worth it.   Every time we pulled off for gas people would wonder over to the BRAT with smiles on their faces.  Either wondering what the hell it was, or to share a story of how they used to know a friend who knew a guy who took them on a ride in one once and it was awesome.   

Like Jon mentioned, its having fuel flow issues.  Basically fuel compsumption is outpacing fuel flow.   John, I already removed the second fuel filter before the carb to see if that was the issue, and it didn't seem to change the symptoms.  Second thing to check would be the fuel pump.  Ill look in to it tonight when I get home. 

Jon gave me a plethora of manuals and reading material to go though, but if any one has a theory they would like to share, I'm all ears. 

• 5 months later...