Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fender flares for ea81

86hatchback

I had way to much time to kill at the pick n pull today. I've been racking my brain trying

to figure out a flare that i could use if I put ea82 arms on my hatch without moving the mounting ears, so i can do a five lug swap and fix the bad caster angle at the same time. Looks like mid 80's s10 4x4's fit the bill pretty sweet. The are flexable easy to trim and could mount with sheet metal screws.

2012-08-21_13-36-56_763.jpg

They move the opening about 3" forward and an inch or two higher depending where you

Place it.

2012-08-21_13-30-10_478.jpg

Luckily where the bottom doesnt quite match in the front I'd plan on trimming the lower part of the fender off and building a custom bumper. In the back some creative trimming and the mudflap covers it

2012-08-21_13-29-59_969.jpg

Edited by 86hatchback

Well if I left the wheel in its original location then yes it would look lopsided, but I want to use ea82 arms in the stock location. So it would move the balljoint forward about 2.5" and 1.5" out there by fixing the negative camber and the positve caster set by the factory. I didn't think it would move it that far forward but since the blazer wheel opening is 30" and the subarus is 25" at the bumper line. It should be pretty easy to center up.

The ea81 arm is on the bottom the ea82 is laid across the top. So numbers are pretty close.

2012-08-22_07-47-51_419.jpg

My biggest goal with this is to minimize the lift need for the bigger tires. I always look at the hardcore cars the have six or eight inches of lift and think if you just moved the wheel forward you wouldn't have to go as high. Problem had been if you moved it forward and cut the fender you could see it in the change of body line. I like this flare because you can hide that and make it look clean. That's the plan anyways. Once funds allow i'll see how it works out.

Edited by 86hatchback

I like the flare idea. Looks like those with work good. When I put EA82 arms on mine I just trimmed and reshaped the fender opening and tried to keep it somewhat factory looking. Here's a before and after of mine with tube bumpers. It made a huge difference with tire clearance. I extended the radius rods 2" when I did it.

Feb2008215.jpg

July2010025.jpg

Here's a shot before bumpers and final shaping of fender to better see how far forward I trimmed.The tires are turned slightly, but I did go a little to far forward.

August2008030.jpg

Jesse

27-9.5 SSRs w/ 4" lift. It handles pretty good. The only bad part is the caster angle is a little to severe so going down the highway it kinda fights you the first 1/4 turn of the steering wheel then turns easily. It's really not that bad though.

Jesse