Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lifted GL-10 Turbo beater

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 newrider3

newrider3

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Golden CO

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

I'm new to the forums and thought I'd post up some pics of my build. I decided to start looking for a daily driver to save some wear on my project F100. I started looking online at lifted Subarus, and decided to go after one considering the availability and low price in my area.
I found this '87 GL-10 turbo on Craigslist, with no asking price. The guy claimed that a piece of the waterpump rattled around in the engine and destroyed it. I was pretty skeptical of this. Called him up and offered $300, and had it on the trailer within the week.

Posted Image

Got it to my buddy's shop and started tearing it down. As I had suspected, the engine was just fine. The waterpump seal had given out, leading to the pump bearings giving out and causing huge play in the shaft. A little nick in the block resulted. I threw a water pump on it, and a timing belt kit while I was down there, and it runs great. A little seafoam and a fresh oil change cured the tick of death, it's a smooth and quiet runner for 207k miles.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After some reading on here, I built a 2" lift kit and got it bolted together.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next I picked up a set of 235/75/15 Wranglers on some chrome wagon wheels off a Nissan at the junkyard. Drilled the wheels for 4-lug pattern, and threw them on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Did go back and clearance the wheel wells and fenders quite a bit after it settled some.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Added some mechanical gauges to keep an eye on things, and built a front bumper out of old oilfield pipe. My initial measurements were a tad off and it came out pretty wide, but I think it works OK, don't really want to cut it up again at this point.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And that's about up to date as far as the pics I have, just driving the wheels off it now. I did replace the rusting out muffler with a piece of 2.25" straight pipe (it's still super quiet due to two cats) and the passenger front CV with a locally rebuilt unit.

Any questions or comments?

#2 TajMan

TajMan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • SLC, UT

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

nice work, perfect turbo beater car

#3 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,725 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

Wow! ... That was a Long Story Short!

Welcome! ... I Like your Subie! Posted Image

How much tall is the Lift kit... 3"?

Kind Regards.

#4 wentz912

wentz912

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kelso, WA

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:41 PM

Will you send somebody the rear door trim pieces before they fall off/explode/get lost?!

#5 newrider3

newrider3

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Golden CO

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

If someone really wants some part of this car they deem irreplaceable, they can come to my house with cash. :)

#6 Ioku

Ioku

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Bend

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:04 AM

Will you send somebody the rear door trim pieces before they fall off/explode/get lost?!

I didn't know those things were desirable or hard to come by or I wouldn't have throne the ones off my car away

#7 wentz912

wentz912

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kelso, WA

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

Well they were only on the turbo cars, and they look pretty cool on the five lugged, lowered cars.

#8 branbikenut1

branbikenut1

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • St. Louis, MI

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:01 AM

Do you have an idea of the offset on ur wheels? im looking into a set of 6 lugs for my 92 loyale and am quite curious

#9 newrider3

newrider3

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Golden CO

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

I couldn't tell you, I just pulled them from the junkyard and threw them on. I think they are a little over stock offset for Nissan/Toyota pickups, they sat a bit wide on the truck I pulled them from.

#10 branbikenut1

branbikenut1

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • St. Louis, MI

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

Those wheels have nearly the same offset as my 15x8 Chevy rally wheels i picked up. Do those 235s rub at all?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users