Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Twin Elec Fans

I really doubt it uses 10 hp, more like 1-3 hp on a really bad day. Probably a rumor ricers made up to bolster the theoretic output of their crappy cars.

actually a mechanical fan can take up to 7 to 10 hp from the crank so the wheels your missing about 3 to 5, so yes it it worth it, im thinking of taking mine off, but i just need another electric fan then. thats the next project.

I do, two 10" aftermarket fans on the thermoswitch. Works good. Tim
How much current do they draw and do u have them in series or parrallel? I can remeber something about this in my science lessons at school but cant remeber which way it went.

Cause I was thinking running two stock fans (thats if the spare one still works), but also didnot know weather to use relay or not (Lots of imformation/misinformation about this topic) and just wanted some opinions.

B.T.W Also I would prefer not to have to buy the relays. And could you go into your setup abit further?

Also does anyone know the current rating of the thermoswitch?

Cheers

hey BOBBRUMBY,

you will want to run the fans in parallel, so (+ to + )and (- to -), otherwise they wont spin as fast...I blew my 15A fuse in a week with my dual fans so I replaced it with a 20A to accomodate for the extra load and its been holding out great!

I also have a manual switch because if my thermoswitch works, it comes on after 210' F...(too hot for my likings) but if your switch is good it should be able to handle the current of both fans...