Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'92 loyale 4x4 wagon build

branbikenut1

Im a bit new to this forum so i decided it was my time to add my new rig. its a bone stock 92 Loyale 4wd wagon. Nothing special, just 225,xxx hard miles and lots of rust, well there was till i got ahold of a saw zaw and some roll on bedliner ;) Has been extremely reliable tho considering. I slapped some fog/ driving lights on the front, soon to have a nice KC upgrade. I currently run a 205/70/13 which is apparently hard to find since i blew a tire and now noone in the state seems to have a spare. plan to redrill to a 6 lug soon and a 2 inch kit. I NEED MORE POWER! Any ideas? it ran decent at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes but still doggy. Currently making a roofrack for the ole girl. It was too quiet so i cut the muffler and replaced it with a 3 inch tailpipe, sounds amazing! Any tips are ideas will def help. Is there a way to do a 5 lug swap? like i said before I'm a bit new here.

ed254de3.jpg

The day i brought her home, best $500 investment ive ever made

87cdef70.jpg[/img]

88630a77.jpg[/img]

Playing at Silver Lake Sand Dunes

30a320aa.jpg[/img]

trying to flex this thing out a bit

da0e5fd1.jpg[/img]

After the bedliner

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The roof rack is coming along pretty good. it started out as the deck off of a large indutrial wagon thing i picked up at an auction. its HUGE. 4'x6' a bit too large.

I just now got it cut down though. i cut 12 inches off between the supports. Plan on welding it back together soon.

432ad65f.jpg

This is what I'm using as the platform. still uncut

5bc85e27.jpg

This is what its looking like now, freshly cut, still needs welded back together.

I plan on running flat steel up from the sides later on and line it with tubing to make it a bit higher. Any ideas on how Long i should make the supports?

The roof rack is finished! will have pics of it installed tomorrow. I'm picking up a set of 6 lug wheels tomorrow and really need to know what is the ideal offset. I already have a set drilled out but the offset is way too much and rubs BADLY on the inner fender. Any suggestions or comments?

for gods sake man, paint those wheels black! also, nice rack, turned out real good

Those stock wheels on the car are just temporary. I did plan on blasting and painting them for winter. Thanks, I put a good amount of time since i couldnt really build it from scratch. everything i had was already bent and whatnot. Getting it all to fit and flow together was a pain in the a@%!

The rack turned out good, all steel is a plus.

Are you planning on using those wheels in the back of the car? Looks to be some type of 6 or 8-lug wheel?

Here is a detailed write-up on how to do a 6-lug swap.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=132536

The wheels peeking through the back window were a set of 15x10 6 lug wagons i redrilled but a bit too much offset and I rubbed on the inner fender so today i swapped them for a set of 15x8 Chevy Rally wheels. Already have them drilled and tires mounted. Should have pics of them on the car tomorrow. Those will be black soon as well. That thread helped me quite a bit. Thanks

Welcome! I'm down in Hillsdale, long way away from the dunes. :(

Liking the roof rack! Need to build one for my Wagon. I think Wagons look much better with a nicely built roof rack on them.

To do a 5-lug swap, you'll need to find the parts off an XT6 for the rears, only thing that will fit. You'll atleast need the hubs from one.

Swapped mine to 5-lug, but I also owned the XT6 all the parts came from, made it much easier/cheaper to do.

If you can do the fabrication work, Legacy rears could be made to fit, but it would be some serious fab work as it's a totally different setup under them.

Lots of info on this Board. Take the time to read thru some of the other forums like the Off Road and Retrofitting ones. Off Road has info on wheels and tires.

The USRM Forum has good info in it also.

Man, you are almost in the middle of the state! If you ever find your way to WI look me up and we'll do a Loyale meet, xbeerd has a '92 Loyale as well.

-Tom

According to a few signs we have up around the city, we are geographically the center of the lower penninsula. Ill definately have to do that. Itd be a good time. Same goes for you if youre ever in MI.

Ive been over the bridge many times while growing up. It is beautiful once you get into the U.P. Lots of good trails up that way too.

Go coverless. You will thank yourself when the belt breaks. Turns a 45 min job to 20 min job.

I run coverless on all Subarus, never had a failed belt and you can inspect it on the daily if you want. Also makes adjusting the EA82 timing belt tension easier.

The timing covers are known to break just by looking at them.

Wow i never knew that. i kinda figured itd take a tole on the belt. all i can say is...SAWEET! that sure saves me a few pennies.

Joes auto parts in Spring Lake ha a few nice loyales if your looking for parts. They have a complete xt6 there if you wanna go five lug.

Ill def have to go check out. I find something else wrong with this thing everyday. I just had the passenger side caliper freeze up on me and now im looking at a minimum of $60 new!

When you go to press the caliper piston in on the Loyale, you need to press and turn at the same time for it to seat back into its bore (Newer EJ Subarus you can just press the piston in with a C-clamp)

If you piston is stuck, soak it with some PB-Blaster or DeepCreep. Than use a block of wood and the hydraulic pressure of the system to back the piston out a little bit (Work it, to unfreeze it) Do not let the piston come completely out.

Might just save you some more time and money.