Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'92 loyale 4x4 wagon build

branbikenut1

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn this sucks. I'm gunna check a few private junk yards this weekend and see where that gets me. Ill call the Subaru dealer tomorrow and see if they know what the hell I'm talking about. Times like right now is when I wish I owned an older chevy so I wouldn't be having this issue but whatever. Ik when its all fixed I'm gunna love this thing more than ever. Sorry about all the ranting and raving, I've had to put all new brakes,a new axle, wheel bearings, ball joints, and now all this just this week.

i feel your pain (except we dont rust out here), when i bought the 88 for my wife i did all that plus radiator, egr/solenoid(s), engine harness, tires/wheels. now its boggy but i digress........ i do in fact love that car now so im sure youll love yours. good luck

RV

Parts are on their way to you.

Hang in there on the car, it's 30 years old. Bound to have things what need attention.

And yea, around these parts, if your vehicle don't have rust, it soon will....

Thanks so much!! Now im just hoping the threads on my axle arent too worn out to use. I know, this isnt close to being the most attention happy car ive owned. To be completely honest, i think my car has more rust than steel, so its pretty much a typical michigan car :grin:

Sure Tom, just had to correct it to make me look like the bad guy... :cool:

As for Threads, are you talking about Nut threads for the Castle nut, or the axle splines where it presses into the hub and onto the Transmission axle stub?

If you had a bad Cone washer or a loose/improper torqued nut, the splines on the CVJ end can wear out or become damaged. Castle nut torque is like 150ft.lbs but I just get a breaker bar and a 4ft pipe and put most my weight on it (Until the car starts to rock back and forth) never had an issue in my 6yrs of Subaru madness!

I HATE RUST! Just so you know :-p

I was talking about the threads for the castle nut. Sorry, shoulda been a bit more specific. The old castle nut was really wore out and wouldnt even torque down on the axle. I hope a nut with better threads will at least get me by until i find another axle or at least figure something else out. Ive checked the splines and they appear to be okay.

You can get a new EMPI axle (23 spline) for about $50. I think A1 Cardone is a little cheaper. But I've had good experience with EMPI (There are a lot of threads about EMPI on here)

Just a heads up :)

EMPI axles can be found on Rockauto, Partsgeek, Thepartsbin ect.

-Tom

Thanks man. I put alot of time into building it. LOL no thats not a bullet hole, i do get asked that alot though. Being a Michigan car, its another one of those wonderful rust holes that give this car character. There is one in the hatch that looks like its been shot by a cannon. ill post a pic of that one soon

The splines seem okay so hopefully I'm not gunna have to buy one but ill def keep that in mind. Do you know if the front hubs off a turbo are the same? The splines in the hun are ruined and a turbo hub is all I can find around here

Yea, hubs are the same. Inner joint/trans splines are different. Auto trans/turbos share the same inner spline count. 23 vs 25 is what you're looking at.

You need 23 for a Non turbo/auto vehicle.

Unlles,,, it's an XT6. The inners on those are 25 also for the manual trans.

Yes, the hubs will work :)

Questions! You are worried about asking too many questions?! No worries man, you're doing fine, its best to ask, than to learn the hard way.

Only thing is, if you were to use an XT6 knuckle, you'll have 5-lug in the front (You'd be half done with the 5-lug swap!) then you could run any 5x100 wheel on the market.

But any other Turbo Subaru (Wagon/Sedan/XT EA82) will have the 4x140 hubs and will bolt up. An XT6 looks like a wedge btw, and has a ER27 Flat-6 but is based on the EA82 chassis.

Edited by TheLoyale