Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing timing belts

I have to say, I really appreciate the detailed step by step instructions. I'm not offended by dumbing it down. When you do something a lot it is easy to overlook instructions that you do naturally. I'll try to make a "timing belts for dummies" videos with all the details included. I'm a fan of the wide out though those with plenty of experience probably don't need it. You guys truly help anyone to be a "do it yourself" person.

About messing with the distributor, that's for adjusting ignition timing but not cam timing, right? I'm not sure how to know if the ignition timing needs adjusting, I assume once I fix the cam timing if there is any backfire then the ignition timing needs adjusting?

If you haven't messed with the distributor since you became aware of needing to change the belts, then leave it be. If your engine is properly timed before it comes apart, the rotor will point to the correct pole when the drivers side cam has the timing hole straight up where it's supposed to be. This is because the distributor is driven by that cam shaft. So, like the white paint mark, it is a completely redundant step.