Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Smoking EA-82

I just recently did a engine swap and a reseal for my 87 GL Wagon. Now that it is back together and running great, it is smoking........a lot! It only happends when you are on the gas hard and if you are going down a pass or something. What could cause this? It also seems like it is losing alot of oil for a fresh reseal. Thanks a ton!!!!!!

Scott

Smoking can be a manifestation of several things: peer pressure, poor parenting, low self-esteem, addictive personality... or any combination of things.

But seriously, knowing the color of the smoke will help diagnose the problem. Gray, white, black... different problems produce different colors of smoke.

Yes lets narrow down what its smoking. THe smell is also a key clue. Cant miss the horrible smell of burnt coolant! Oil is pretty distinct also. Water vapor will be mostly odorless; maybe a slight fuel smell or just an old stinky subaru smell :)

well, this is not for sure and someone else may have another clue but...

smoking and using oil, smokes more when going down a long hill or hard on the gas. sure sounds like a oil consumption problem somewhere. color of smoke can help confirm this.[blueish]

could be sucking oil past the piston rings. can you do a compression check?

maybe a bad intake valve oil seal?

or soobs are known to have problems with the pcv system. do you know if the pcv valve is working and hoses hooked up correctly?

just some ideas...

did you break in the engine properly? the rings may need to be seated better, that could clear up your oil consumption. if its both on decel and accel i'm thinking it could be they missed the valve stem oil guides, with it burning on both ends it could be rings or valves. if its just one or the other there pretty easy to diagnose.

A compression check will not always turn up bad rings. I've got a severe oil consumption problem with my turbo. I narrowed it down to cylinder #3. But the kicker is that the compression is 140 across the board. At first I thought it was valve seals, so I replaced the heads with rebuilt ones from AHR, still does it.

Remember, your compression rings and oil control rings are separate entities, you can have a missing oil control ring, burn tonnes of oil, and still have good compression.