Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire Recommendation?

critch

The doorjam in my 88 loyale says I should run 185/70SR13 size tires.

My mechanic just replaced both tie rods and boots, and my right ball joint - and said I'll need an alignment. I need new tires pretty bad so I figured this was a good time to get some.

Here's the deal, my loyale came with an identical parts vehicle, so I have an additional 3 x 13in rims. I was thinking of getting a nice set of 4 all season tires and when winter comes around, getting an additional 2 snow tires to swap out for my front wheels. This way I can keep my a/s tires on the shelf during the winter, and my snow tires on the shelf during the hot summer months.

Any suggestions about which all season tires and snow tires I should get are most welcome. I'm thinking about the Toyo Extensa AS for my all-season set:

http://toyotires.com/tires/pattern/extensa-as-passenger-all-season-tires

Thank you,

John

if your Loyale is 4WD I would go with a set of 4 snow tires instead of two.

if your car does not have 4WD then you should be fine with just 2 snow tires mounted in the front.

around here craigslist is a great source for 185/70/13 snow tires for some reason but not so much all season tires.

I see sets of 4 snow tires advertised often for prices around 100 to 150 bucks with 90% tread or better.

back in June I was able to pick up a brand new set of 4 studded snow tires off craigslist for 80 bucks.

buy the snow tires in the summer when no one wants them.

I just priced a new set of 4 - 185/70/13 all season tires yesterday at a price of 240 bucks, but I think I'm gonna hold out a bit longer before I buy a set.

If you are stuck on 13's, Id suggest some Hankook Zovac's for winter

hansq1.ang.jpg

Im running a studded set of them for winter duty, and it turns my GL into a damn snow-mobile.

The rest of the year I run a set of Mastercraft AS/IV's

mastercraft_as_iv.jpg

Nothing special, but they have decent tread, seem to be wearing well, and are quiet for everyday driving. So far they have proven pretty tough for light off road (forest service roads and such)