Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

removing axel pin on a 97 outback

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 the sucker king

the sucker king

great fisherman

• Members
  • 1,879 posts
  • Lyons, Colorado

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:19 PM

I have done a dozen axels on old subarus, our outback looks like the same job as the old ones. BUT - There isn't enough room to get a hammer on a punch from the top, do you drop the exhaust and hit it from under?

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,279 posts
  • Portland

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

Most people use a long punch designed for axle roll pins or you can use a socket extension and put the end of the punch in the female end of it...... I never drop exhaust to get at the pins.

GD

#3 the sucker king

the sucker king

great fisherman

• Members
  • 1,879 posts
  • Lyons, Colorado

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

thank you

#4 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:22 AM

7/32 drill bit inside a 1/4 socket on a suitable extension. What else would you need a 7/32 bit for, anyway? But the tool mentioned by the general is the best thing to have. I just used one for the first time.

#5 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:41 AM

goto sears and buy a 7/32" roll pin punch. They cost bout 7 bucks. I've seen people break off drillbits in there and then it makes it real fun taking it out.

Its like using an easyout when you should have just welded a nut onto the broken bolt. You just end up spending more time trying to fix a "shortcut"

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,279 posts
  • Portland

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:54 AM

Drill bits are very hard and can shatter when impacted by a hammer blow. I once had a peice of drill bit embed itself in my hand from such an incorrect use of a tool.

GD

#7 ocei77

ocei77

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • Monticello,NY

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

I bought a set of pin punches (IIRC 5/16 is the szie needed).
Cut a 1"square piece of wood stock (any would do) about 16" or so long., drilled a hole 2" deep and slightly smaller than the shank into it. Inserted punch and used it to knock pin out from top.
If I need to do it again, I'll do something similar.

O.

#8 avk

avk

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:06 AM

Drill bits are very hard and can shatter when impacted by a hammer blow. I once had a peice of drill bit embed itself in my hand from such an incorrect use of a tool.

GD

I agree that this precaution is important when dealing with a rusted pin of unknown origin. My experience with OE stainless pins has been that they come out without a fight. Of course if the OP can wait for obtaining proper tools, they should order the axle pin remover, or at least a plain 7/32 punch (not available in hardware stores).
I thought that on a 6 mm hole, a 7/32 drill was easier to use than a 3/16 punch (tried both).

Edited by avk, 04 September 2012 - 08:10 AM.

#9 jp98

jp98

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Gypsum, Co

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:03 AM

If you have a Harbor Freight store near by they have a kit of long punches that I bought when I had to do mine. They work great and a great price.

#10 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,902 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

snap on sells a punch ment for the job has a tit on the end to sit in the pin hole to center it works very well with a six inch extention like GD said the punch is like 30 $ and i love mine has done 500 pins no problem the ps side is a pain i come from above sometimes is easyer

#11 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,318 posts
  • WV

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

yep, get the right tool/set up and it's easy. i've never had a problem getting to them and i've done numerous axle repairs.

Drill bits are very hard and can shatter when impacted by a hammer blow.

rather easily at that. i intentionally break them to make them shorter - for using with a right angle drill in tight spaces like the front of the engine to avoid removing engine/radiator, condensor. the strong...but brittle...drill bits easily break. kind of like concrete - very durable and strong, but brittle - not intended for impacts.

#12 avk

avk

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

snap on sells a punch ment for the job has a tit on the end to sit in the pin hole to center it works very well with a six inch extention like GD said the punch is like 30 $ and i love mine has done 500 pins no problem the ps side is a pain i come from above sometimes is easyer

There's a newer version of this tool, LT-730, with a small tip on the end to fit snugly inside the pin and hold it.

#13 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

http://www.toolsourc...u-p-134649.html

Dont buy snap on. Buy what the dealerships use. its 15 bucks and its shouldered so you dont have to hold the pin when reinstalling it

#14 avk

avk

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

Yes, that one.

#15 njdrsubaru

njdrsubaru

is this thing on?

• Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • Old Bridge, NJ

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

make your own

cut an old long screw driver and youve got a perfect tool for years to come

i made mine that way... and i use it everytime i need an axle changed

#16 89Ru

89Ru

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • Nashville TN

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

Drooling over the magnetic tipped shouldered punch but 3/16" punch from HF works on passenger side. Its 8" long and 0.555" dia knurled handle fits between exhaust on '96 OBS. Wish it was 10" though.

#17 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 7,877 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

Drooling over the magnetic tipped shouldered punch but 3/16" punch from HF works on passenger side. Its 8" long and 0.555" dia knurled handle fits between exhaust on '96 OBS. Wish it was 10" though.

That's what she said. :lol:

On a more serious note! A straight 3/16" punch fitted into a deep socket with an extension works great if you don't have the axle pin tool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users