Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 GL Wagon (picture heavy)

ystrdyisgone

• 7 months later...

Picked up a donor car today :) 200 bucks!

C5r73Ywl.jpg

Will be taking the advice of many on this forum and getting it running perfectly before I take it all apart.

Updates to follow, also put some heated seats out of a 99 outback in the wagon, pics coming soon.

• Like 1

Yeah after 200K my drivers seat was disgusting, not to mention extremely uncomfortable. It wasn't too hard to put the seats in, I just removed the outback rails and replaced them with the GL ones. The passenger side was very easy, bolted the front bolts on, then drilled two holes for the back two bolts. The drivers side was an entirely different story. The adjustable height mechanism is a bitch. I basically just cut off as much as I could of the mechanism, and bolted the rails to the seat frame, using large, 3/4 inch thick, square lug nuts. Actually I only bolted the front two, ended up welding the back two in place. I may go back and get the rear seats from the yard as well. The dimensions of the seats are the same, the lower bench part brackets are spaced differently, probably a cut and weld job, looks like the uppers mount the same, but I'm not so sure how to get those out..

Yeah I live in Montana, up near Bozeman.

That's good to hear, i may do the same in my loyale. My brother lives in Dillon, we plan on doing a road trip to Teton this summer. I just took my first long trip after the EJ22 swap and it felt good! Let me know if you have any questions when you go to do your swap, be glad to help!

Thanks to TheLoyale for his old carpet, put it in my car today:

opzcwGXl.jpg

8YDEYWVl.jpg

My carpet is blue, but it's so sunfaded that you can't really tell the difference!

I replaced my transmission fluid as well, put some Subaru Extra-S in there, looking forward to smoother shifting from what I've read.

I'll be pulling the EA82 out pretty soon, putting in my x-member spacers, fabbing some spacers for the radius rod and trans mounts, getting the engine bay all shiny, and replacing my axles while I've got all that room.

After that I'll be taking the plunge into the EJ swap. I have so many questions right now, a bit concerned about the fact my car is carbed (fuel lines and pump) but I'll be doing some research.

Yeah buddy! My first EJ swap was into a carbed 85' wagon, i replaced the fuel pump with one from a GL-10 and just replaced the rubber fuel line in the engine bay and never had a problem.

You just have to find a fuel pump from a fuel injected EA and swap them out, it's actually very easy to do!

It might? Your biggest concern would probably be mounting it in the stock location. I'm sure if you put a wanted ad for a fuel injected fuel pump in old 80's gen i bet someone would sell you a good one for the same price my man. The best part is it bolts right in without modification!

I'd figure montana would have some great junkyards full of old subaru stuff! Reminds me of shitty cheyenne, took me 3 different stores to find a lower balljoint tonight!

I sometimes forget how useful the wanted section is on this site. Thanks for the reminder!

There are other junkyards, but they are all more than an hour and a half away. I can't think of anything that would make the trip worth it. Rear discs maybe?

Oh and an update, I picked up some steel today to lower the rest of my subframe. So I've got the 1 1/4 spacers from an outback for the crossmember. And I grabbed some 1/2" x 3" flat stock that I am going to double up and use for the rest (just drop an inch.) I didn't feel like messing around with tube. It sounds like a good idea to me, any thoughts on the matter?

Adapter plate is in the mail!

Will be ordering my group n engine and tranny mounts and clutch kit fairly soon.

Had some fun disconnecting the ea82 yesterday. Everything is unhooked, now it's just waiting on an engine hoist. :clap:

NsFsjwHl.jpg

I labeled everything as I removed it, there are a few things that I am not sure of though.

So there's this thing, on the driver's side of the intake. I'm guessing its part of the emission system?

dZ3hcEgl.jpg

Which leads me to wondering what these three things are. The plug with the white connector goes to the item on the left, the wire with the boot on it connected to the sensor/solenoid thinger on the right, and the hose connected to the left doohickey(return line or vent?)

PDeORnPl.jpg

Scooner, road trip?! Haha that would be very convenient, for me anyway. There's a place in town here that rents them for 33 a day, not too bad I suppose.

Czny, thanks for the tip, I'll do that. I'm thinking I should jack up the tranny too when it comes time to pull the engine?

"Czny, thanks for the tip, I'll do that. I'm thinking I should jack up the tranny too when it comes time to pull the engine?"

Yeah, raising the trans enough that the engine mounts studs just clear the crossmember works.

Edited by czny

Thanks for the heads up, but luckily/unfortunately the CVs are shot. I've already popped out the roll pins and I'll be removing the axle nuts on both sides before this. I'm hoping I might kill two birds with one stone here and get those axles started in their removal process.