Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 GL Wagon (picture heavy)

ystrdyisgone

Long day under the car today. I finished installing my subframe spacers. 1 1/4 inch for the engine xmember, 1 inch on the radius rods and tranny xmember, and 1/2 inch on the plate under the tunnel and the carrier bearing bracket. Also got some fresh newly booted OEM axles on there as well, thanks to Czny. I'll be digging into the legacy in the next few days, ordering my gaskets and such for the EJ tonight, still on the fence about headgaskets. I may just go ahead and do them while I've got the engine out.

A couple hours and a gallon of Purple Power later, here's the engine bay. It's not spotless, but it'll do.

hG5gLqyl.jpg

The sides of the transmission actually got pretty shiny, the top didn't want to clean up much at all:

KxBHJbzl.jpg

Next up the really fun part.. underside of the transmission.

• 2 weeks later...

A. Not in there yet, as I haven't torqued the axle nut, cause I ain't got no wheels to put on!

B. Noted, will do. (might be a little bit, haven't even started tearing apart the donor car yet :/ )

C. Thanks for the parts man!

A'. Who needs a  wheel to torque the axle nut? Put on two lug nuts one stud apart & lock the hub against the ground with a long bar riding on the nuts.

B'. Thumbs up.

C'. You're welcome!

After searching around town, and on craigslist for a few weeks for some wheels that would work for my 6 lug swap, I finally decided to just throw the wagoneer wheels on, along with some tires I had laying around.

BunDSDYl.jpg

They don't stick out as much as I thought they would:

LiCxGfMl.jpg

Well the digging into the donor has begun. The engine bay is all ready to go. Wires all labeled, and will be pulling the engine tomorrow.

I peeked behind the timing belt covers and the belts look brand new, so that was an awesome surprise! Hopefully the water pump was replaced too..

Tore into the interior as well. I've got the whole dash out, some wires labeled, some plugs cut(hvac, radio, etc..)

Should be a fun day tomorrow :unsure:  I'm sure I'll have many questions concerning this wiring harness, maybe I'll start a separate thread for those.

Wires wires wires, they haunt me. So many damn wires! I'm guessing I'm about a third(??) of the way through the harness, more fun tomorrow.

Then I gotta figure out the bolts I'm going to weld for the adapter plate.

Then waiting on some parts for the engine.

Then redrilling flywheel and getting it resurfaced to xt6 specs.

Then it all goes in?? I think?

I was just doing some reading on resealing ej22s, and apparently the common consensus is that you do NOT touch the rear main seal.. Well spoob.. just replaced that yesterday, wish I had read that beforehand.

I was planning on doing the O-rings on the cams, but with the new belts on there, I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope that those were done previously.

I put some new intake manifold gaskets on the other day.

Got the ecu wires all labeled.

Flywheel is at the shop, picking it up monday. Exedy clutch kit will also be here monday. If I can figure out this adapter plate/welded bolt business this weekend, I think the engine will be going in on monday!

hope I'm not screwed with that rear main seal..

Edited by ystrdyisgone

Cool, glad to hear that scooner. I didn't put it in backwards, so we're good there!

On another note, after a long hard day, the engine is in! Words for the wise: taking an engine out with ratcheting tie down straps is much easier than putting an engine in with the same method. Many hours later, here she is:

amgMRgTl.jpg

I used the original round EJ mounts, which I've heard are crap, but I got sick of spending money on this thing. So I shimmed them by welding 3/8" flat stock to correct the angle. I also filled the mounts with polyurethane(the inside part of the mount) to limit movement. Thanks Uberoo for that suggestion, will be doing the same thing with my tranny mounts when I get around to it.

While the engine was out I noticed the oil pan has a decent sized dent in the bottom. Looked fine to me, but now that it's in the car, it seems to look worse. Might have to replace that. Anyone know how much clearance there is between the bottom of the pan and the oil pickup tube?

I also hooked up my throttle cable, at the new angle, there seems to be a lot of tension/binding of the cable, and the throttle only opens about 4/5ths of the way when floored. Gotta do some research on what people did for the throttle. I really hope the answer isn't to swap in the legacy cable, because I just destroyed the one I have :/

That's strange that there is that much binding, my stock cable had plenty of slack to make a nice loop. Good to see it sitting in there. You are going to love the power, i am constantly shifting at 4-5k because it just feels so right! Ha

I've got a lot of slack, but I think the shielding on the cable is getting worn out, there is a spot right next to the coil pack that makes a sharp bend, may just have to replace it.

I'm pretty happy to see it in there too. Now the fun part of getting it running!

That shift range sounds exactly right to me, can't wait to feel it myself. :banana:

More progress has taken place on this thing, filled the trans mounts with polyurethane as well.

Got the heater hoses and fuel lines hooked up. Started to figure out the airbox setup. Put a brace on the throttle cable to help straighten that bend. I deleted the hill holder cable, and snagged the brace from that, should do for now:

NKn2CAvl.jpg

Installed the SPFI fuel pump and new lines.

And other stuff.. Still just fighting my way through the electrical stuff. Gonna try to get it running tomorrow.

Edited by ystrdyisgone

Nice fan bro, did you get it off of amazon? Is it an 8"?

Also, how are you going to wire it in? Since i live in Antartica where its freezing most of the time i wired both of my fans into two seperate switches. None come on automatically, just have to remember to turn it on but that's not hard to do!

Edited by Scooner