Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DOHC EA82 (Aviation)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,751 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:30 PM

So, JesZek posted this video link in his "BumbleBeast" thread. This is the first time I have seen this, and I started to ask my self, how come no one ever really tries to build up an EA82 with hop-ups like this? Apparently stuff is available to a degree. The DOHC heads must be machined much much better than the stock EA82 heads (Gen-I, Gen-II, Gen-III)

I wonder, roughly, how much money this guy stuck into this EA82? I have never seen anyone really build up an EA82 and run it in a car, everyone goes the EJ route (Which is fine and dandy) but a custom DOHC EA82 would be novel in a EA81/EA82 chassis.

Feel free to comment, post questions or thoughts on this topic. DO NOT let this turn into another Flame war over the long debated "EJ swap it" method.

Cheers!

#2 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:39 PM

those are really really really expensive. aviation guys dont blink at 15-20k for a motor. RAM engines makes that stuff. hella dough, and worth every penny ill bet. whatcha gonna do when ya break it though? (think, '' i didna think it was that deep") lol.....:popcorn:

#3 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

SubaRube Goldberg

• Gold Subscribers
  • 983 posts
  • PNW

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:43 PM

I watched this a while back and it grabbed my attention as well. I can't imagine the amount of work that went in to making this happen. In addition to the custom made heads, it looks like port fuel injection. I can't tell from the video what the ignition system is, and it must be stand alone engine management of some sort? Not to mention the custom timing belt/idler work, on and on. I wonder what the power output is over stock.

#4 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:40 PM

DO NOT let this turn into another Flame war over the long debated "EJ swap it" method.

I looked through the other videos he had uploaded and found this:

This is a normally aspirated Subaru EJ 2 Litre engine mounted in a two seat Dominator Gyrocopter.
This is the first time running with this engine. Previously it had an experimental double overhead cam engine.

Sorry, sounds like even they EJ swapped it.

Sad ending to the story is the pilot ended up dieing in a crash with that autogyro.

Cool heads though. I wonder if they modified some existing 4cyl castings with the same bore center or if they poured their own? Would be neat to find out more info on how it was done.
Posted Image

Edited by WoodsWagon, 04 September 2012 - 11:46 PM.

#5 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,811 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:54 AM

Twin Spark means it uses a couple of SparkPlugs for each cylinder... interesting!

So, JesZek posted this video link in his "BumbleBeast" thread. ...

Yes, and way before on the "Strange & Weird Subaru Stuff" Thread... along this:

RAM Engines, the company that Modify Subaru Boxer Engines to use in Light Airplanes, is Back!

Now they not only does EA81's

Posted Image

Posted Image

But they Have a Modified EA82 too!

Posted Image

And also a 2.3L engine, based en the EJ22!

Look Here: http://www.ramengines.com/

It will be Nice to Drive a Subie with a DOHC Twin Spark EA82... :burnout:

Kind Regards.

#6 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,015 posts
  • WV

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

they do some neat stuff, i've met those guys.

they showed me their conversion of EA81 heads (i think that's what it was, i've never gotten into EA81's) from single port heads to dual port heads. cool looking at a bunch of heads cut at various places into pieces to inspect the ports and passages. they have a lot of time, research, parts, and equipment into what they do, so the costs are going to represent that.

#7 iceageg

iceageg

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Denver, CO

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

Twin Spark means it uses a couple of SparkPlugs for each cylinder... interesting!

Pretty much all aircraft engines both certified and experimental run two full ignition systems primarily for reduntant emergency purposes but two sparks have other benefits too. At least one of the two ignition systems is usually a magnito which continues to provide its own spark in the event of electrical failure.

And Subruise is correct. Anything that goes on an airplane is painfully expensive. 15-20k for a motor will usually only get you a powerplant for experimental use only that is in a box on the floor, uninstalled. Testing and insurance are prohibitivly expensive and the cost of the certification process is staggering. But the people determined enough to be in that industry do come up with some fantastic stuff!

#8 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,811 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

The Creator of those DOHC Heads (16 Valves) for the Subaru EA82 engine, Mr. Neil Hintz, from AutoFlight, does not answer his e-Mails... I tried to contact him (also another USMB Members), asking info about those heads, the timin' belts he used, if they could be suitable to be used in a car; etc... Nothing.

I've spent many, many hours reading his threads in Gyrocopter forums, and beside learning info about those, I collected these photos of the DOHC EA82 engine, which he named as: "AutoFlight 140N" due to its Easy 140 Hp it Develops:

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo, 20 January 2013 - 09:21 PM.

#9 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,811 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 NickNakorn

NickNakorn

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • London

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

Hence my comments on the other thread 'is it worth it'.

Ram seem to be very good value for money. I like their EA82 modified long block:

http://www.ramengines.com/id17.html

#11 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

if i was gonna drop 3k on a ea82, id save up another G and get the ej:Flame:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users