Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ea82 oil pump gasket fitting problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rcrad4

rcrad4

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Centralia, WA

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:13 AM

I am replacing the oil pump gaskets on my '88 ea82. I got the beck arnley brand seal kit. the o-ring fits great, as does the seal inside the pulley system. however the main gasket which seals off the edge does not fit well. it is too large. seems like a quality control error and there is just too much material to fit down into the place for the gasket to rest. has anyone experienced similar problems either with the specific gasket or just in general with beck arnley? any solutions to the problem other than just returning it and trying another one? What about just using rtv silicone to seal it?
Thanks guys!

#2 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,470 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:37 AM

first of all dont use rtv on an oil pump. secondly, i always buy my oil pump gaskets at the dealer. its not that expensive and ive never heard of a problem with them. hth, RV

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

install the seals dry. if you used brake cleaner on the engine while installing you ruined the seal and it has swelled. use only carb cleaner around seals.

out of the package, the seal does fit; yuo sort of have to tuck it in there.

i use a dab of ultra grey on the corner and between the ears to hold it in place while installing the pump.

#4 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,257 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

My money is on swollen from brake cleaner or other solvent.

Nothing else to do but get a new one.

#5 rcrad4

rcrad4

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Centralia, WA

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:48 AM

ok thanks guys! have a new one coming tomorrow so ill try that. much appreciated:drunk:

#6 ketkuFIN

ketkuFIN

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Kemi, Finland

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

You mean the "mickey mouse" seal?
I had some problems too even though it was original subaru part...
I put oil on the gasket to hold it in place and carefully put the pump back on. After 3th or 4th time i succeeded.
Mine too was littlebit too big

#7 Quidam

Quidam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,517 posts
  • USA

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

I recieved a Beck/Arnley oil pump seal kit Monday, Made in Japan. Orange O ring...it all fits good. Pump is a NOS B/A that I robbed the seals from for another motor. B/A oil filter, Made in Korea.
Posted Image

Doug

#8 rcrad4

rcrad4

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Centralia, WA

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:00 AM

yeah when i got the new one it fit just right. a little snug but it worked and fit in there so it must have just swelled enough to not fit solid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users