Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2nd gen brat aluminum bumper build what do ya think?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sube101

sube101

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • St Helens Oregon

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

im builing this bumper out of 7 inch aluminum channel, this is the design so far. im not sure if i like it too much or not. but itll hold a warn winch hidden from sight. itll also have some plating or mesh added to the top to fill in the gap. ill post more pics after i weld her up
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

also on the sides it will have a radius cut to match the wheel cutout ^^

#2 Tosh

Tosh

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 360 posts
  • Centralia, WA

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:04 PM

looks good. how will that aluminum hold up to getting banged around is my only concern.

#3 sube101

sube101

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • St Helens Oregon

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:12 PM

Well it'll hold up way stronger then stock. It's also strong enough to support the winch I used quarter inch channel. I think it'll be relatively similar to a normal steel bumper once I send it in to be re hardened. Welding it has softened it up a bit

#4 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:16 PM

Honestly I would go for 4". Just my opinion, but hey, you did ask!

I think the 6" looks a lil un-proportionate.

$0.02

Spencer

Edit: I dunno, looking again, it's not WAY out of proportion. Tough call. It'll look better after you radius the corners etc. I'd still probly wanna do one in 4".

Edited by obk25xt, 09 September 2012 - 11:21 PM.

#5 sube101

sube101

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • St Helens Oregon

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:20 PM

It's actually 7 inch. I was thinking the same thing after the material showed up from the truck. It all seemed so right on paper and in planning. But the goal was to be able to fit a winch inside completely hidden and protected.

#6 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

It's actually 7 inch. I was thinking the same thing after the material showed up from the truck. It all seemed so right on paper and in planning. But the goal was to be able to fit a winch inside completely hidden and protected.

Maybe leave the center section the full 7", and then taper down to 3" or 4" by the time you get around the corner and meet the fender. You'd lose the flange of the channel, but you could always weld a piece in to reinforce the edges that ended up flangeless.... Then you're hiding the winch and streamlining into the body.... Food for thought....

#7 sube101

sube101

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • St Helens Oregon

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:37 PM

Not sure I follow what you mean. Once I use the full 25 feet of channel I was forced to buy ill be able to redo the bumper and make it better. For now I think it'll be alright

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users