Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT Stick to Auto conversion

question oh great ones....

We have an 87 XT GL'ld (ok...was a DL and I put all the GL stuff in it) 1.8 5 speed with 142,000 on the clock. Car started out as our oldest daughters, then she got married and went on to faster things but we hung on to Ru. It has been a backup car for many years and he is loved by all. Heres the problem, wife broke her foot several years ago, and in more recent months, driving a stick hurts her foot REAL bad. Thus Im considering a auto box swap for the 5 speed. Anyone done this?...is/are the parts a straight forward swap or is it more than a transaxle/console parts exchange? (like half shafts, and other goodies). Does it have to be from AN XT or do other Subaru Autobox's fit?

On a similar note, the local salvage yard has an XT6 that I was considering a heart transplant into Ru before the autobox idea. Now, Im considering doing both...other than engine and ECU (I would guess anyway) what changes are there?

Thanks for your time

Bill F

Is is FWD or 4WD? Needless to say, a FWD would be easier.

Switching the actualy transmission components wouldn't be that bad (just bolt up a flex plate to the engine and install your autobox with TC up to it)...

But some of the electronic stuff would be tricky. If you were to do this, I would get a 4AT and not a 4EAT. The E means electronic, which means you'd have to buy a TCU and hook that up. I might be wrong, but manuals use a gear-driven speedo cable, whilst autos use an electronic vehicle speed sensor. The idling system is different between AT/MT, and you'll need a different starter.

If it's 4WD, then you've really got a jam. Since VERY few XT's came with fulltime 4WD trannys, you'd end up with a pushbutton most likely, so you'd have to rig up a different switch.

I'm not normally one to say this, but if your wife can't drive a 5spd anymore, it might be time to pass the car on. I know more than anyone else how hard it is to part with such a great car, but it's really not worth the hassle IMO...

Good luck whichever you decide to do!

All of the 4 speed autos are electronic. Big hassle as stated above.. theres another computer an wiring harness to install..

However, you could install a 3AT.. it will pretty much bolt right up.. only real issues you would have to deal with are wiring up reverse lights and such like that..

Unfortunately the 3AT is not the best or longest lasting tranny in the world. additionally, you will see a substantial decrease in gas mileage.

You could use a tranny from any year XT.. 85 and up GL/DL/GL-10/Loyale.. you could very possible use an older 2wd 3AT, but since I don't mess with the EA81 soobs much, I couldn't tell you for sure. XT^ trans would be out because as far as I know ther are all 4EAT.. I could be wrong there too, but I doubt it.

I have to admit, i don't know of anyone that has sone the manual to auto swap.. But many of us (myself included) have done the auto to manual swap.. same process, just backwards :)

Good luck

a 3spd auto will fit the same. one xt we had we converted it from 4wd to FWD,

to do the convert, get the flexplate, torque converter, and tranny crossmember. anyone on their day off would gladly chuck you an AT for your manual tranny, see if anyone will trade!