Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4wd not engaging

ferp420

after lifting my loyale i am having a problem geting the 4wd to engage it worked fine before the lift the tires are all about the same size 27" give or take a 1/4 " its a push botton and the light come on but no 4wd any ideas or tricks and is there a way to engage it manualy thanks

engagement mechanism is on the front-ish of the trans on the passengers side. crawl in behind the front passengers side tire and you'll see it on the side of the transmission. you can follow the cable and see the linkage. by unbolting the bracket that holds the cable to the trans you can then manually engage and disengage it - and hopefully find out what's causing it to hang up...

probably just a vaccuum line disconnected or solenoid broke which power the engagement system.

I bet you knocked loose a hose.

check the diaphragm on the transmission and see if one of the 2 hoses has come disconnected. Check the other end of them at the solenoid on the driver side firewall. check if the nipple broke of either end. check from the solenoid the the vacuum canister. check the hose from the vacuum canister to the intake manifold.

Here's a tip: Turn on the heater and select defrost or floor heat. If the air comes out of the dash vents, then you do have a disconnected vacuum hose from the intake or canister. It is common to knock a hose loose doing something as simple as spark plug wires.

it all seams to be working i backed it up a ramp til the wheels came off the ground the back tire was spinning but it dident have any torque on it as soon as the front came off the ground the car stoped even if both back tires have traction is the center diff bad or is that just how they are or is it just not engaging all the way

The light is engaged by movement of the 4wd shift fork in the end of the trans.

SOOOO if the light is on, then the Vac solenoids, and cable are working.

To test it for sure, engage 4wd and try to turn in a tight circle on gravel. You will here the tires binding and slipping in the gravel if it's working.

Grossgary......4wd Mechanism is at the REAR of the trans. I think you are thinking of the Hi/Lo mechanism at the front. Single range doesn't have that.

with both rear tires on the ground and one front tire off the ground no go if one front and one rear is off the ground i get front tire spin and rear tire spin so it is engaging but no torque on the rear end i have 3 loyales 91 93 89 if theres somethin wrong with the engaging mechinism i can just swap trannys not to big of a deal but no point if thats just how there are and is the duel range better in this department or is it basicly the same locking type system

with both rear tires on the ground and one front tire off the ground no go if one front and one rear is off the ground i get front tire spin and rear tire spin so it is engaging but no torque on the rear end i have 3 loyales 91 93 89 if theres somethin wrong with the engaging mechinism i can just swap trannys not to big of a deal but no point if thats just how there are and is the duel range better in this department or is it basicly the same locking type system

Same 4wd engagement internally. Just operated by a cable instead of a lever.

Sounds to me like the 4wd engagement collar is not engageing all the way. Or is broken a spinning free.

Is there any noise when you have it in 4wd?

after lifting my loyale i am having a problem geting the 4wd to engage it worked fine before the lift the tires are all about the same size 27" give or take a 1/4 " its a push botton and the light come on but no 4wd any ideas or tricks and is there a way to engage it manualy thanks

Interested to know what the physical symptoms were. I'm a newbie to the lever/push button 4x4 (gonna be picking up my first one; '86 brat in a few weeks!!) and am always looking for new things to understand

theres no noise of any kind its acting like its just not in all the way is there anyway to check it or test it or tricks to manualy engage it with out taking the trans out i dont want to take it out till i can do the duel range swap and i cant do that till i have my scout up and running i dont drive much but i still need wheels but it sure would be fun to play with it in the meantime

on the rear of the trans, passenger side, is the lever that the cable attaches to.

pulling the lever forward will move the 4wd engagement collar inside the trans.

With a 4 inch lift, you also may be able to remove the inspection plate above the 4wd engagement. 4, 12mm bolts on top. With that open you can see what's going on using an inspection mirror.

• 2 weeks later...

so i finely got a chance to play with my wagon today and found the problem some how the brake drum dident have any splines in it it was just smooth in side i pulled a different one off of one of the others laying around i have pics of the inside of the drums but cant figure out how to upload there im feeling kinda stupid because ive been in there before chasing a squeak and bind pop sound funny that sound isent there anymore ether afew more adjustments and im ready for the trail