Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help, What Am I doing wrong! Fixed I'm an Idiot!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 xoomer

xoomer

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  • Burien

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:59 PM

Installed a known good motor this weekend, got everything hooked up. it has fuel and has spark. (At least some spark.)

I can't get it to start... The best I can do is get some coughing and a backfire out the carb. I followed this

Any ideas? I've also replaced the distributor and plugs...

I don't believe I have it 180 out. any suggestions? What is the 100 percent accurate way to get this done. I have this problem every time I have to pull a distributor.

Edit: I'll bet I have it 180 out. I'm an idiot... I havn't thought to pull the distributor and turn the crank... then re drop it.

Edited by xoomer, 12 September 2012 - 10:58 PM.

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,423 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:24 PM

I bet you have the plug wires on backwards or whatever with the backfiring in the carb. I have done it. i bet you have 2 and 4 backwards.

rotation is counterclockwise. firing order is 1-3-2-4. #1 cyl is front right and #3 front left(driver perspective)

#3 xoomer

xoomer

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  • Burien

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

I thought 1-3 were passenger side, and 2-4 were on the drivers side.

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,423 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:48 AM

in the usa from the drver's perspective.

the left side of the engine is the right side when looking at it head on. left and right always assume perspective facing forward with the car.

#5 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,007 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

I bet you have the plug wires on backwards or whatever with the backfiring in the carb. I have done it. i bet you have 2 and 4 backwards.

rotation is counterclockwise. firing order is 1-3-2-4. #1 cyl is front right and #3 front left(driver perspective)

1 and 3 are on the same side....Passenger for the US.

#6 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,007 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

The quick way to tell if you are 180 out is with the dots on the Cam gears.

At compression stroke TDC, the dots on the Cam gears will be "up and out" from eachother. Meaning the Pass cam, the dot will be 45 deg. left of top. The drivers side, the dot will be down, and 45 degrees right of the bottom.

This is were the disty rotor should be pointed at #1. If it's wrong, or if you still have the disty out for any reason, there is a trick to install it. With belts positioned as above, align the dot on the disty gear with the mark on the shaft and drop it in. This should get you right on.

If you're at TDC on the intake stroke.....the dots on the cam gears will point diagonally inward towards eachother.

#7 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,928 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:00 AM

had one other day they put in diss 180 out then moved the plug wires to run like that was a pain to get it right use the forum luke !

#8 xoomer

xoomer

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  • Burien

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

I've got it 1-3-2-4 on the cap to the plugs. I'm going to rotate the crank one more turn and try again.

#9 xoomer

xoomer

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  • Burien

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

figured out that it isn't a timing issue. It will start sometimes and then Immediatly die. it seems as though I've got an Electrical problem.. I'm going to start unplugging sensors to see if I can get some change somewhere. If I cant get it I'm going to have Tom tow it to Superior.

:(

#10 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,589 posts
  • Roat├ín, Honduras.

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

... It will start sometimes and then Immediatly die. ...

Is the Fuel Pump Running fine?

#11 xoomer

xoomer

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  • Burien

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

In my fatigue and anger I managed to swap 1-4 and 2-3 so on the cap it was right but on the plug it was wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users