Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help, What Am I doing wrong! Fixed I'm an Idiot!

xoomer

Installed a known good motor this weekend, got everything hooked up. it has fuel and has spark. (At least some spark.)

I can't get it to start... The best I can do is get some coughing and a backfire out the carb. I followed this

Any ideas? I've also replaced the distributor and plugs...

I don't believe I have it 180 out. any suggestions? What is the 100 percent accurate way to get this done. I have this problem every time I have to pull a distributor.

Edit: I'll bet I have it 180 out. I'm an idiot... I havn't thought to pull the distributor and turn the crank... then re drop it.

Edited by xoomer

I bet you have the plug wires on backwards or whatever with the backfiring in the carb. I have done it. i bet you have 2 and 4 backwards.

rotation is counterclockwise. firing order is 1-3-2-4. #1 cyl is front right and #3 front left(driver perspective)

1 and 3 are on the same side....Passenger for the US.

The quick way to tell if you are 180 out is with the dots on the Cam gears.

At compression stroke TDC, the dots on the Cam gears will be "up and out" from eachother. Meaning the Pass cam, the dot will be 45 deg. left of top. The drivers side, the dot will be down, and 45 degrees right of the bottom.

This is were the disty rotor should be pointed at #1. If it's wrong, or if you still have the disty out for any reason, there is a trick to install it. With belts positioned as above, align the dot on the disty gear with the mark on the shaft and drop it in. This should get you right on.

If you're at TDC on the intake stroke.....the dots on the cam gears will point diagonally inward towards eachother.

figured out that it isn't a timing issue. It will start sometimes and then Immediatly die. it seems as though I've got an Electrical problem.. I'm going to start unplugging sensors to see if I can get some change somewhere. If I cant get it I'm going to have Tom tow it to Superior.

:(