Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Do I want to do my own rear 4wd wheel bearings?

Tosh

A local shop has offered to "lend" me their ea82 rear wheel bearing tool. Or pay them $100 to do both my rears.

Part of me wants to save the money and do something that I haven't done before. I've done fronts it was a learning experience. The other part of me really doesn't want to ************ anything up. Because I really don't want to have to re do these ever again.

I've been studying 987687's pictorial wheel bearing guide and I think I might be able to handel it but part of me just wants to say "$50 per side is worth knowing its done right"

My trailing arms are out of the car right now while I do my 6" lift, I'm down to buy some beers if anyone wants to come down to my place and help me do it right. Or I'd be game to head up to Olympia if anyone up there is down to give me a hand.

Sounds like you've done some similar work before, so skills may not be the obstacle. I would say it depends on if you have time to let the vehicle stand unused if you get stuck.

When I take on new frontiers I usually do so only if I don't need the vehicle for a while in case I get stuck then I know I have the time to find answers and muddle my way though .

If the vehicle is essential then time is not on your side and paying to get it done may be the right choice.

For $50 a side, how do you know it has been done right?

I am conflicted on this one. $100 for both is a bargain. Easily worth the money for the reduction in time spent, hassle and frustration. As a learning experience, it may be useful, but it may just teach you not to bite off more can chew. Skills learned may or may not be useful in future endeavours.

On the other hand, it is no bargain if it isn't done right. And $100 seems like very little for the work involved.

I take it you are supplying parts, and the $100 is labour only?

WHoops, I just noticed the arms are off. $50 a side may be reasonable. But still low, around here.

For $50 a side, how do you know it has been done right?

I am conflicted on this one. $100 for both is a bargain. Easily worth the money for the reduction in time spent, hassle and frustration. As a learning experience, it may be useful, but it may just teach you not to bite off more can chew. Skills learned may or may not be useful in future endeavours.

On the other hand, it is no bargain if it isn't done right. And $100 seems like very little for the work involved.

I take it you are supplying parts, and the $100 is labour only?

WHoops, I just noticed the arms are off. $50 a side may be reasonable. But still low, around here.

its from a local subaru shop. I would be supplying parts, I trust their work. Maybe I'll see if for $100 they will just "show" me how to.

Being able to watch someone else do it for $100 would be good a good deal. But chances are you won't learn too much applicable to "shade tree" mechanics, if they pull out the 100 ton press with all the fittings to do the job.

Get it done right, once, by someone else, watch it happening, and your car is good for the next 200,000 miles. Bargain for $100.

When I did this, it was the first major work I'd done on a car. Literally the only other thing I'd done was spark plugs and oil changes.

I did have text message support from bratman, which helped.

Not having to deal with drum brakes except to get rid of them also helped.

Put the $100 toward two tanks of gas or something, you can figure it out.

And as I mentioned, you don't need the special tool.

How are the old bearings?

Any wear or damage on the trailing arms?

I just redid mine on one side but the bearing had worn out so bad the trailing arm was damaged. Took the trailing arm to a machine shop and they would not touch it. Wound up doing it myself since the rig has 301,457 miles on it now, just need to get what I can out of it. You will want a press to install the new bearings which I had access to a cheap one but I am also experienced in installing bearings/bushings and such. Bearings/race (actually is the race for the bearing to ride in) and seals for my one side were 100 bux so...........don't wanna screw em up.

If your link is to the same vid as I used, he also had a machine shop press in his new bearings.

• 1 month later...

I am located in Bellingham, Washington and am in need to replace both rear wheel bearings. Is your buddy willing to do mine if I drive it down there or even better yet, do you know a place where I can buy the Subaru Pin Wrench Socket because everywhere online this tool is discontinued.

Any help would be appreciated,

Bryan

84' Subaru GL Hatch.

Well after soaking the bearing with PB blaster and heating it up this morning and failing with a pin punch and a large hammer, we decided it was time to wait no longer and fabricate the tool.

It worked perfectly and tomorrow I will get the bearing race pressed out since it will require more force. Or I may end up buying a press.

I'm willing to let anyone borrow this tool in the country with a deposit to my paypal if you are in desperate need.

So tomorrow bearings should be all done! Finally!

Thanks for all the suggestion guys!

Bryan

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg