Ultimate Subaru Message Board

They have cracked land issues because the tune is run on the bleeding edge of detonation to meet EPA specs and fuel economy targets. It's likely they're also moving the top ring groove up closer to the crown to reduce the quenched area around the side of the piston where unburned HC's can lurk.

I would spend the money on the right size forged pistons before boring it out. You are talking a big jump in bore size which will probably require a re-sleeve. That money and effort is better spent on real pistons.

Get the tune right and keep dumping water/meth in there and the stock pistons should last a while.

the stock pistons are realy weak worse than 1600 pistons same dementions as the wrx one just slightly smaller the wrx ones are at least 50-70 % stronger by design and have a ceramic coating and a slight dish to drop comp ratios. I broke 2 pistons on thiss six runing on propane so was not detanating but the pistons just couldent take boost they are flat tops with realy thin sides and very little space between ring lands. Is there even any forged pistons avalible for a 3.0 six ?

pistons same dimensions as the wrx one just slightly smaller the wrx ones. Is there even any forged pistons avalible for a 3.0 six ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERTECH-SUBARU-H6-EZ30-PISTONS-P6-SU8920-N18-/330455563045

That's the first result I pulled up. Wouldn't hurt to call wiseco or any of the other big piston manufacturers and ask what they have.

A 2.8mm bore is big. The stock steel sleeves would probably be weakened enough by that to split under boost. So you're looking at re-sleeving the engine with these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Darton-300-028-Performance-Flanged-Sleeves-Subaru-EZ30-Outback-Legacy-Tribeca-/180882450033

You'd want to use forged WRX pistons too, so add that cost on top of the sleeves and the machine work.

That still leaves you with the stock rods. I found a few references to forged ones made by Pauter, but that's another $1400.

http://www.pauter.com/subaru.htm

I have both out on ground right now the wrx ones are bigger so it might not work i have six wrx pistons here waiting i would like to use what i have because the buggy is based of low budget raceing that what makes it competative and interesting raceing high budget guys with low budget platforms my engine is way cheaper than the big block guys i race and it bugs the crap outa them realy how mutch do's a 517 dart engine with alcholol injection and nitros injection realy cost so whos winning

i have my own boring bench setup for subaru engines was going to bore it myself but may not be enuff materail there also thiss is a dragrace block so could cement it posibly to hold liners together is a long term project and have two 3.0 engines to work with one has cracked block so would be a good candadate to try things with

• 1 month later...