Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dumb Question? Loyale vs. GL (Wagons)?

DT250a

meh, we just need to admit that the combination of our tough design rules, small population and right hand drive mean that it's often too hard for manufacturers to put as much effort in.

Fiori's were sold here, just that not in big numbers because our fuel is relatively cheap compared with a lot of places still, and wide spaces between cities with largish animals to hit means I (and others) wouldn't be driving one out of suburbia.

Those mini Subaru Rex / Fiory \ Vicky also were sold here, in Latin America.

I've seen few in Honduras, LHD... Click here for Photos of a "Vicky II" edition:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/50983-strange-and-weird-subaru-stuff/page-73?do=findComment&comment=1202072

... but we have pretty same reasons like Australia, to prefer Bigger cars, 

Kind Regards.

@ Loyale 2.7 Turbo, In Aus, a coupe is a sedan with only 2 doors, or at least has a boot(trunk). Like the early 80s model or the XT. So yes, I mean the coupe, but still is a hatchback to me.

A 2 door sedan is not a coupe! The word 'coupe' basically means 'to cut' or 'cut' so a coupe usually (and traditionally) has a lower roof line and less passenger space.

As you pointed out it is often a 2 door. However, it can have 4 doors. The Rover P5 Coupe being once such example - 4 doors but a lower roof line and less interior space.

Yeah, well, the L series "coupe" doesn't fit into your category either ;)

And probably not many other (mostly modern) coupes where there's a sedan version either.

I saw many 2 door sedan versions of 4 doors in the US which we don't get here, and apart from limited access to the back seat because there's only 2 doors, I don't recall any seeming to have more limited space. I would bet that most people would call them coupes. Even the Subaru MY coupe isn't smaller than the sedan version.

I guess "modern" being the important term here. The car you mentioned is well over 20 years old (prob more likely 30).

Yeah, well, the L series "coupe" doesn't fit into your category either ;)

And probably not many other (mostly modern) coupes where there's a sedan version either.

I saw many 2 door sedan versions of 4 doors in the US which we don't get here, and apart from limited access to the back seat because there's only 2 doors, I don't recall any seeming to have more limited space. I would bet that most people would call them coupes. Even the Subaru MY coupe isn't smaller than the sedan version.

I guess "modern" being the important term here. The car you mentioned is well over 20 years old (prob more likely 30).

All very valid points wagonist!. As you have noted it is a 'hatch' in Oz speak and I suspect it was called a coupe to distinguish it from the earlier EA71/81 hatch which we never got (Damn you Subaru!).

The MY model is not a a coupe either, it is a hardtop.

Yes most people do call them coupes (possibly a left over from the Ford 3 and 5 window coupes of the 1930s)  but a 2 door sedan is still a 2 door sedan! And I would surmise not many manufacturers tool up for 2 door sedans these days.

There are still modern 4 door coupes, check out the Mercedes CLS (but please not the new Haval  H6 Coupe!), however, the word coupe has simply become a marketing tool/word in its modern usage, with no real meaning.

Edited by Leeroy
  • Like 1

talking about coupes and sedans and stuff.

what differentiates a wagon from an SUV? is it only because theres a car model that goes with it so the SUV one is considered a stationwagon? i mean look at the Kia Soul, its considered an SUV, so if theres not a 2 or 4dr car model that goes with the Loyale or GL or watever, then the Loyale/ GL Wagon is considered an SUV?

i once saw a Subaru Outback Limited 4dr sedan a year ago, weird vehicle, only one i've ever seen. so it could be that my theory is compleately wrong, i don't know.

Edited by Subasaurus

The Kia Soul is considered an SUV over there? :P

SUVs tend to sit higher off the ground, have a higher roof and taller tyres, and initially AWD. But the line has gotten very blurred over the last few years. Most of the wagons in Aus have disappeared over the last decade because SUVs have taken over.

I suppose the Outback sedan makes sense considering the number of lifted Leones & Legacy sedans now getting around ;) But still looks wrong.

Saw a few Bajas while over there. Having not seen any in the flesh before, looks like someone just took a big saw to a wagon :P

• Like 1

the baja was subaru's way of bringing the brat back, but went away for obvious reasons. (cost of prod. and sales)

never liked the tail lights, thats the only thing i hated looking at.

and yeah pity that wagon's are getting crushed and melted as we speak.

Edited by Subasaurus

Then what is a Leone? I have an '86 carbed (now Weber) GL wagon with all the options I think you could get in a GL at the time. It has a DR 4WD, and a 5-spd. Looking online for the shop service manuals all I can find listed for my year & a GL is "Leone".

There are no '86 GL wagons to be found on CL, not with a manual trans. Not ones that haven't been Franken-subed, and very few of those. Haven't been for a couple of years. They are scarce as hens' teeth. Once in a while there will be an '86 wagon but it won't have all the goodies mine came with, all the interior courtesy lights, the carpeted side doors, the grab bars, etc.

I'm sooooo confused.

Subarule

The 'rest of the world' being outside the U.S. ?

i think theres 2 or 3 other countries that also used the GL/DL Loyale blah blah, but for the most part yes.

How about that Isuzu Geminette-II? would love to have the Geminette-II name on the side of my GL, talk about a unique rare trim piece in the U.S.

Edited by Subasaurus

@Ziginox: you're saying that even the RX Turbo hatchback never had power door locks?

I find that hard to believe. It's only 4 wires, and the coupe would require 2 fewer solenoids than a sedan, and 3 less than the wagon.

And I still can't believe that seatbelts aren't compulsory. But if you guys want to kill yourselves, don't let the rest of the world stop you :P

Correct, I guess Subaru didn't think it would be a problem to reach across the car and unlock the only other door. 

My 1990 Loyale donor vehicle has no airbag nor auto seat belts,

Also why did the auto seat belts leave? not just on Subaru but on every auto manufacturer? i heard that it was against the constitution to force us into seat belts (even though we could unclip it) thats why they faded away.. is this true or a bunch of bologna?

Like I said, the law required an (one single) active restraint. Airbags and automatic seatbelts are both active, most manufacturers added automatic seatbelts to existing cars because addings airbags would have been much more difficult. Later vehicles got airbags, which satisfies the requirement for an active restraint.

What is with all the hate on the automatic shoulder straps? I love mine. I'm weird.

Let me also rump roast that with the grenading airbags in the "modern" vehicles, I am GLAD I do not have airbags.

Edited by MR_Loyale
  • Like 1

You have to remember though that the airbags in the US have a different design.

Because there isn't a requirement to wear a seatbelt in the front in all states, they are designed to either go off in a smaller accident (hence your impact absorbing bumpers), or go off quicker (as your head is supposed to hit the bag after its fully inflated and cushion while it's deflating). And airbags without a seatbelt also need to stop the entire body moving, not just the head and chest.

In other places where seatbelts are mandatory, these already hold the body in place somewhat. Therefore airbags take more of a supplementary role, instead of the primary role.

I can see why the automatic belts are good (I had a good look at one in a wrecker in LV), but also how if the lower belt wasn't done up, then the person could simply "submarine" under the shoulder belt.

Also, I've had to remove a number of seat belts from cars in the past to clean them up. Decades of body oil gums up the retracting mechanism and slides. Having an extra reel to clean hidden under the centre console would be a pain. And the mechanism to slide the belt, can't imagine how strong that all must be to hold up in an accident.

I'm not sure about other countries, but the Legacy didn't get any airbags here until the second generation in 94, and then only some. The Impreza only got airbags in the upper models until the LX FWD was dropped in the late 90s.

Edited by wagonist