Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88GLW 2wd rear drum shoe replacement procedure?

Had some rear wheel noise, sounded like something broke apart in the

rear drum (as i've experienced before). yep brake pad has a chip off it.

This is my first time doing drum brakes. Could someone give me he run through?

I've already got the drum off.. found 2 springs (silly me unhooked them before i memorized how they go back in) and 2 broken clips.. I'm hoping autozone has these clips in the help! section. ?

Edited by Danny88GL

Just google your title and you can find videos and how-to instructions with photos for brake drum replacement.

Autozone also has many step-by-step help files which are model specific at their website.

here's a generic video which may be helpful too.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/videos/7-videos/5-brake-videos?videoid=MCpCkun2qxA#youtubegallery

And of course there is the USRM

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=129319

Edited by Dee2

I forgot to mention i already did a search here and youtube.. and google.

Didn't really find anything. youtube the drums were much more complex,

these are rather simple.. and the instructions here were geared more towards

a mechanic.

I'm looking for some simple instructions on this particular model.

I seem to recall the springs going over the cyclinders? but most of the ones i seem online the springs go straight across. these dont' seem to have the retaining pins? I searched google images for a picture of the 88glw2wd but couldn't find any. If i had that, i'm confident i could put it back together fine.

I figured if i post here, someone who knows it like the bakc of their hand could just type out a quick run down and that'd be all i needed, not an elaborate thing.

I know what you mean though, usually, that is a good response that is applicable to most situations. I guess if I just get the parts and study what

I see enough, I'll be able to figure it all back together basing it on what i've already taken in about drums and such in general.

Also pay attention to the brake shoes. Often one will be slightly longer than the other. Rule of thumb is the longer shoe goes behind the axle. Short shoe in front. Never done Subaru rear brakes but plenty of others over the years. Hardest part probably will be installing those spring-loaded hold -down pins. Needle nose pliers are my tool of choice.

Forgot to mention replace all the hardware. Only costs a few dollars. And I won't reuse the wheel cylinders. Just not worth it.

Edited by john in KY

The smaller diameter spring inserts into the top two holes on the brake shoes.

The larger diameter spring goes to the bottom two holes in the brake shoes.

Those clips are hold down springs. If you can't find that stuff local (auto parts stores around here don't even stock fuel and air filters) RockAuto.com has all you would want.

You can buy just the hold down pins and clips/springs in a kit.

Doug

Edited by Quidam

Don't forget the adjustment. 2wds are a manual adjustment.

Square headed bolt sticking out near the bottom of the backing plate. Sometimes has a big rubber cap on it.

Back the adjuster all the way out, install new brakes.

Then after it's all toghether, with wheels on, support the rear in the air so the wheels can be rotated.

Spin the wheel while screwing in the adjuster (it has detents every 1/4 turn)

When the wheel starts to drag on the brakes, stop, and back off 1 detent.

repeat for other side.