Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Moving and overwhelmed with the stuff in my workshop!

SUBARU3

OK...so I am planning a move back to my home state of PA and have become quite challenged with my "collection" of tools, parts, engines, stuff and MORE STUFF! HEAVY STUFF!

I'm relocating from TX after 25 years here, so it's not like across the street. Has anyone in the car hobby made a big move? How do you decide on what to take and what to trash, or give away? I have cleaned out ALOT of items, but they seem to regrow overnight! So many things for my vintage 70s Subarus and also my Dodge Colt stuff...(but not so large). Then there is the Impreza/Legacy stuff!

Also, any suggestions on transporting 7 cars all at once?

What a hassle, but I need to get back home.

Thanks, Todd

Keep your tools I didn't when I moved countries and now Im back in Australia, I wish I had never gotten rid of my tools as it is costing so much to restock.

Get rid of everything you will never actually use again. sell it or find people that will use it or need it directly.

Can you hire a car carrier to get your cars to the next location?

Good luck with the move

TOONGA

Also, any suggestions on transporting 7 cars all at once?

You can hire a private carrier to haul them. Try googling or go to one of your local used car dealers and ask who they use for auction deliveries. It shouldn't take much to find a carrier who will do it, but be prepared as you may end up spending a couple grand on transport.

Never get rid of tools! I mean as long as your collection is within reason. If you have like 12 impact wrenches and only use 2, you can probably stand to sell a few of them. :-p

But for the most part, tools are much harder and much more expensive to repurchase after selling than they are to just move with you. If you've been thinking about buying that new table saw or (insert name of tool here) for a long time, now might be the time to sell the old one and buy that fancy new one when you get settled in after the move.

What do you think would be reasonable $ $ for the hire of a car carrier for 1 pickup and 1 dropoff of:

Dallas, TX to Philadelphia (area)

78 Subi wagon

79 Subi wagon

81 Plymouth Champ hatch

79 Dodge Colt hatch

95 Impreza 2 door

95 Impreza 4 door

maybe 1 more Legacy

I guess I would fill a trailer! I love my cars and I have no intention to sell the vintage ones anyway!

Yes, I will keep tools. Everything when it comes to cars and car parts is HEAVY! Years of collecting parts and now years to unload! :banghead:

Always, "I better keep it, I might need it someday". Funny how getting older makes you rethink this justification!

Put the tools and parts in the cars and hire a car carrier.

If local dealers or google can't help go to the local dealer auction particularly on an "off" day and see whose carriers are there.

You'd likely be further ahead to get a whole carrier. Heck I'd buy cars to fill it if they are rust free TX cars and sell them when you get to PA! May pay for the move.

Edited by davebugs

When I shipped a Legacy from Seattle to Houston is was about $700. If you've got enough to fill up a carrier, you might be able to get the per car cost down a little bit, but I wouldn't expect it to be significantly lower. The cost from Dallas to PA is also going to pretty similar as Seattle to Houston.

i had one shipped cross country was $768 and it doesn't vary much, i just priced one "close" from NY and it wasn't much cheaper...$650 or something.

stuff is so rusted up here it will be worth it to retain the cars you like. i've bought two Subarus in the past two years - one from Texas, and one from California to get something without rust.

then again - if there's one you can dispose of now, do it! free yourself up! honestly - it's not *that* hard to replace a Subaru, particularly newer ones.

i moved and got rid of like 10 Subaru's and parts. i could have held onto them, only a 3 hour move and had plenty of time/space (kept both houses for over a year). i remember thinking it didn't feel right and maybe i should keep this, that, etc....*it hasn't held me back at all in 6 years*. i'm glad i sold, glad i didn't have them to mess with and it freed me up to move onto other stuff and projects.

there's value either way - work at it to keep those nice rust free jokers - but definitely now is the time to clean house, move on, and free yourself up too.

i would keep the tools.

Most of the larger carriers can handle 10- 12 cars at a time depending on weight. I saw one with 14 once, they were all Smart cars, but that's still a lot of cars!

Generally the more cars you ship the less it's going to cost per car. An average owner-operator has a trailer that will hold about 7-9 cars. A full load is probably gonna be between 2 and 3 grand for that distance, but it can vary depending on what the driver has scheduled. If he has a load to pick up in PA to take back, you'll probably get a little break.

Heck 2-3 K is pretty good. It would have to be easier to pick up at one spot and drop at one spot, vs zig zagging with multiple clients. If I could put some stuff in the cars that would be so cool!

Moving is just a PITA, but life has a way of changing. I've learned that nothing is permanent!

Todd

yeah with multiple cars i imagine you'd want to make some phone calls.

the larger companies avoid the "zig-zagging" by having you drop it off at a their terminal and picking it up at their terminal. you can pay extra to have it delivered from there, but that puts the responsibility directly back on the buyer and they can just sub-out the local deliveries and the truckers get no zigzagging.

but if you can find someone to pick up a load they'd probably like that.

there is a sight...uship...or some other one...where truckers take bids on hauling your load. not sure how many car haulers are on there.

I'd try to avoid packing the cars to the gills with parts because weight does play a big factor in how many vehicles a hauler can handle. I think 84,000 lbs is the legal limit without special permits. Some of the larger rigs already weigh over half that unloaded. Adding even a few hundred pounds to each car can make a big difference. If a driver shows up to pick up the cars and finds them packed to the brim full of tools and spare parts they may increase the rate, or turn down the job altogether.

I agree and if I am not mistaken, you can't place that much in transported cars. I'm thinking a box or 2 per car.

Everything helps, especially large items like fenders.

Old Subaru's are light cars.

Often folks don't look in the trunk, atleast when I used to haul in scrap cars they didn't.

I just see it as a wasted opportunity to ship empty cars they cut back on what you can haul to PA seperately - or cost you more.

I passed a car hauler last night that had 6 on top row and could have handler 5 on bottom row. It was one of those that was kinda extended on the tractor side. With a car over the cab.