Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gl cup holders

Cheapest cup holder option, that doesn't screw up your dash.....:headbang:

I tried those in my car, but the baked withing a couple weeks and shattered (my coupe gets very hot, plastic around my rear view mirror is powdering, clock trim is melted, ect.). 'Course, the dry air here doesn't do much for plastic. I ended up using marine ones, and bolting them to the door. Works of, but I should have bought ones with stronger arms, these don't hold very tight. Wish I could still put it next to the brake, but nothing fits.

I'm not very happy with any of the easy options we have. my newest idea is to grab the cupholder section out of the center console of an S-10 blazer, and then hack up my '84s rectangular section of it's console, to accept the S-10 part. (or whatever junkyard cupholder I find that would fit and not look like poo)

I screwed a "Euro Junior" cupholder right down to the dash.

Like the one in Turbone's pic, but screwed to the flat spot in the dash. Works great.......I can drive like I want to, and it stays put......just gotta have a lid and not be TOO full or else it can slosh out a little bit.

I have Dual E-brake handles, so no room in the center. Plus with dogs, if my coffe is down low, the dog hair and dander gets into my cup.....yuk.

This is what I'm thinking of picking up for as cup holders for my wagon. Probably mount to the side of the center console.

0156-0118.jpg

Just google "flip down cup holder".

I got one of those, i think it was from the backseat of the explorer,

i mounted it to the doghouse of my dodge van, it's doing great!

that mght be rather nice to mount on the dash of the subie and fold up when done. niiice.

I grabbed a metra dash kit for a loyale. It was the one with the 6 in wide by 3/4 in snap out cover under the radio. I left that plastic cover out and as able to fit the dash mount cup holder from a gen 1 Legacy in the empty slot. You have to recess the top two corners of the dash kit and drill two holes for the front mount of the cup holder then use zip ties around the cd player to hold the rear. I'll post up some pics tonight. It only took me ~20 minutes to build.

• 2 weeks later...
I use that spot between the seat and the e-brake.Wedge it in there!

that spot works well enough to make you think it's fine. full cup of coffee + not thinking about holding it there = sticky shifter and coins and french vanilla carpet.

btw, I'd mentioned hacking up S-10 cupholders to retrofit into the GLs console. bad idea, they're worse than the spot between the seat and e-brake

Do you have those bad-boys mounted in there or did you just hook them around the shifter moulding?

They just hook under the boot, no mounting, have always held whatever I put in them (usually a 32 ounce cup). $1.00 solution! Low center of gravity and if there were a failure, it all goes on the floor!

Edited by jeffx

They just hook under the boot, no mounting, have always held whatever I put in them (usually a 32 ounce cup). $1.00 solution! Low center of gravity and if there were a failure, it all goes on the floor!

The only thing missing in that response was "But wait! There's more!". :Flame:

I'm sold. Picking up the next set I come across in the store.

Tired of sitting a can in between my 4wd and e-brake levers only to forget it's there, park, yank the e-brake, and have the can fall over. :banghead:

:clap:

I remember in my 84 I could put a cup in the T handle of the 4x4 selector! But the EA82 needed a different solution (and not the solution Subaru came up with for my 98 OBW--too much pepsi in my CD player!) I travel alone most of the time, so the passenger side gets most of the use, its close enough and I can see it!