Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for a good subie shop in Seattle

I have taken my car to Smart Service for years but there has to be some shop in the area just as good that can do the same job for less. I need somebody to steer me to that shop.

My car is making noises, kind of a whiny grindy noise. The timing belt was done about 80k ago as part of a head gasket job by Smart Service. The tensioners and everything else was replaced at the same time. If I had to guess, I'd say the noise is from the tensioners.

The car is also eating oil I think through the cam seals. It's a little early for a timing belt, but, if this other stuff needs to happen then so be it.

So, please show me to a great AND affordable shop! I hope there is one out there as good as Smart Service where this project won't cost me $2k or more.

I'm in Columbia City so it's really not all that far to Auburn. Heck, it's probably closer than Smart Service. Have you had experience with these guys?

Sort of.....been working there since Feb and have known the owner for several years :D

Working on a temp basis at the moment, so tell them I sent you.

I have taken my car to Smart Service for years but there has to be some shop in the area just as good that can do the same job for less. I need somebody to steer me to that shop.

My car is making noises, kind of a whiny grindy noise. The timing belt was done about 80k ago as part of a head gasket job by Smart Service. The tensioners and everything else was replaced at the same time. If I had to guess, I'd say the noise is from the tensioners.

The car is also eating oil I think through the cam seals. It's a little early for a timing belt, but, if this other stuff needs to happen then so be it.

So, please show me to a great AND affordable shop! I hope there is one out there as good as Smart Service where this project won't cost me $2k or more.

Whiny grindy is power steering pump.

Also check out All Wheel Drive Auto in Kirkland. We do a lot of maintenance, head gaskets, timing belts and whatnot.

I'm one of the mechanics:D

Pretty pleased with AWD Auto. They spent a good long while trying to ID the noise. Of course, as is always the case with transient noises, it refused to do it for the mechanic.

I'm thinking AC at the moment but I'll change my mind tomorrow, I'm sure.

Thorough investigation and charged me half what they quoted because they felt bad they couldn't find anything.

I suspect that the issue might have something to do with the owner hearing things.