Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shot out spark plug at 382k. The end?

Seems like it should have still started. Sorry to hear of the repeat failure.

Time-sett is definitely the most reliable repair, but I'm not sure who in this area has the kits. If anywhere (on that side of the mountain at least) would have it, I would guess Foreign Affairs, but I'm not sure if they work on Subaru.

Which shop did you take it to? (if you don't mind me asking)

it does sound like he ''glued'' the plug back in and got the car running.

and this time around a different issue cause the engine issues.

no telling now how long the plug would have lasted as it was.

question for all, when compression blows out a plug, does the plug slowly unscrew until it gets popped out or does it just explode out taking all the threads with it ?

question for all, when compression blows out a plug, does the plug slowly unscrew until it gets popped out or does it just explode out taking all the threads with it ?

Sort of both. When it's loose, it'll jiggle in/out and back and forth just a little bit. Because it's not tightened down to the seat.

So as the engine fires it bangs the plug threads against the head threads over and over again. It just sits there and constantly beats the crap out of the aluminum threads until they wear away/weaken to the point it finally just blows past them and the plug comes out.

Usually when a plug comes out it takes 90% of the threads with it.

It happened to me one time, I took the washer off and treaded the plug back in. I made it about 40 miles like that to get home. Driving really carefully, not loading the engine up much. When I finally got home I really hammered on the gas, and BANG, out came the plug.