Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant hose xover EA82

asis

Having a slight temp problem on my 86 gl. Last month or so on 25 mile trip to work one way, it would start to run slightly warmer, temp gauge would creep up a bit and eventually oil pressure drop. When home I could hear the res filling, and some bubbling and gurgling.

Yesterday headed to work and half way it overheated, pulled off freeway and found the upper rad hose leaking. Nursed it to NAPA for new hose, cooled it off and made it home. Seemed to be ok until tonight. Showing a bit warm on the gauge again and gurgling under the carb. I once had a xover replaced or sumin like that back when I had a good job and no time to fix myself....

I see the heater hoses come out from under there somewhere also....what am I looking for to fix or replace????

If the cylinder heads are cracked between the intake and exhaust valves, on just one cylinder head, you will get the reserve bottle to overflow and the temperature gauge will go into the red without pushing the engine. You may also notice a deposit underneath the radiator cap and inside of the bottle, that came from the cylinder head gaskets.

It may also only be loose cylinder head bolts, that allows hot compressed exhaust gases to be pushing back into the coolant system, resulting in coolant being then pushed into the reserve bottle resulting in overflows. Same symptoms. If you do a lot of high speed driving on hot days, then it could be the cylinder heads. If you don't, then it is more likely just the loose bolts.

Depending on who you go to and what their agenda is, you will probably get either a cracked cylinder head or a blown head gasket diagnosis. They seem to never tell you that the cylinder head bolts may be loose. It takes about 1 1/2 hours per side to correct.

Also, old radiators get clogged up with gunk and also cause overheating. When was the last time you cleaned yours out? If you just installed a new one or cleaned out your radiator and you still have overheating problems, then look to tighten up some loose cylinder head bolts.

The only hose that carries coolant on top of the engine, connects to the thermostat housing. It is a short small hose. It is not the source of your problems. But it may get old, hard and crack, eventually resulting in coolant spray beneath the intake manifold.

Thx for the reply scoobie,

I did notice the hose on the thermostat housing and was wandering about that. I did suspect that as a source.

The problem is not severe and I don't think is head gasket or I would see signs of coolant in oil...yes?

It will not over heat unless it gets low on coolant and does not steam or loose coolant when I stop after drive. It also recovers all from reservoir once it cools down.

I did have another issue a few weeks ago, a spark plug blew out of the right front. I put a helicoil in it and new plug. That does seem to be the area although it might be the hose as well.

So where is the coolant escaping? Exhaust?

If there is a galley between the intake and exhaust then any stop leak will not help since compression from engine is pushing back against pressure in coolant system????

I do see residue on cap of res and radiator cap that appeared to be oil..........if I have cracked head....301,875 miles might be the end of my bubaru......:(

Stop leak helped my terminal blown headgasket. The beast went from producing vast clouds of steam and using a quart+ of water in 5 miles to being capable of gentle use on a local basis, just keep a jug handy and top up now and again. I used the Solder Seal metallic flakes, not one of the sodium silicate liquids. It took a couple of days and starting/heating/flow cycles to achieve maximum effectiveness.

This is not a long term fix, just enough to keep it on the road until it can go to the scrappie. Not recommended for a long term vehicle.

Milk shake residue on the oil filler cap is quite common, esp. in cooler climates. Not a problem. Look for steam in the exhaust, smell it for coolant.

I've been driving EA 82 models since 1988. My experience has been once overheated by low coolant, it is only a matter of time until you need a headgasket. Usually I've seen slow leak between cylinder &coolant system. Oil / combustion residue in coolant bottle. Coolant slowly dissapearing. Bubbles slow in recovery bottle. This is all for a mild overheat. Longer / hotter, worse things happen, like coolant in the crank case, and burning lots of oil.

intake gasket is a possibility. remove spark plugs and look for shiny pistons to to prove coolant in the combustion.

the comment above about cracks between the valves was meant to say about cracks in the exhaust ports thru to the coolant jacket. cracks between the vals is a common and noraml occurrence.

if you have leaks suspect the o-ring on the water pump pipe to the rad hose.

the liquid glass sodium silicate type block sealers can help with cracked heads as a temporary or permanent fix.

smell your radiator for exhaust

If you are loosing coolant on a regular basis, then you have problems that need fixing. Like cracks in the exhaust port, cracks between the valves, loose radiator hoses clamps, holes in the radiator, loose water pump, or loose cylinder head bolts. Obviously, you need to find yourself a replacement right side cylinder head out of your local auto wreckers yard. You will learn much of how to install them by taking them apart. Better get a manual. And look on youtube for a demonstration. I went past the 300 k mark, years ago.