Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cracked windshield ... options '96 Legacy

'96 Legacy Brighton, I have about a 12" long crack in the middle of the windshield. It won't pass NY safety inspection like that.

Anyone replace their own windshields? Can I get one from a junkyard maybe?

Or is this one of those pita jobs requiring some special tools that is best left to the professionals?

I don't have glass coverage, Safelite is quoting around $230 for replacement. Lowest quote I've gotten is around $190.

interesting question - wonder if there's a youtube video on the process.

I know very little about it, I WAS told that, there is a 'prep' step that some techs skip when they install glass - a 'short-cut', that a good tech won't take.

keep in mind, proper glass installation is a safety issue. Up to 40% of some vehicles' structural integrity in a rollover is in the glass! And part of its job is to keep you from flying out over the hood in a wreck.

i'd pay the $190 to $230 to have someone experienced/insured install it. unless you are good at it, don't bother, and because you are asking about it, you aren't good at it. it won't be worth it in the end, especially if you break the "new" windshield while attempting to install it.

Thanks. I was looking around some, and it appears you need new proper sealant to do the job, which could add maybe $30 or so to buy that in addition to the windshield.

I did see the primer, it said if the paint on the pillars under the glass is scratched at all it has to be primed first.

I'm sure another possible issue will be if there is any rust on the pillars under the glass. I don't see rust there but this is an old vehicle that is rusty in most other spots.

Hm so given that it would run me $100 or so to buy my own windshield, then another $30 for sealant, plus the piano wire and any other gadgets needed to do it, and the time to do it, I think I will have them come to my workplace and just get 'er done. Then I don't have to sit around at the shop waiting either. And you're right, I'm not good at it, because I've never done windshield replacement before. My brother in law said he's done it and it's not too hard if you have a helper with the piano wire.

I've noticed sometimes when they quote places will have an adder for on-site service and some other things, so that $190 ish quote might have had adders.

I contacted Geico to see if I could get their price from Safelite. I told them I didn't have glass coverage. So they said oh sure just file your claim and it will tell you how much it will cost. So I did that, and their response was simply 'sorry you don't have glass coverage.'

Edited by porcupine73

I have installed my own glass in a car and have decided that for what they charge it is better to have a company do it instead of myself. All it would take is for you to break the replacement windshield and then you need to go buy another one. If a replacement company breaks it you are not out any more money since they will eat it. Also a windshield from a junk yard is going to be pitted and dull. You won't believe how nice a new one will look when they get it in for you.

buy the glass yourself and save yourself some $. That window retails for about 80 bucks. so safelite is charging you 150 to install it? hell come to alaska I'll do it for a case of beer

Windsheilds are the biggest scam out there in the automotive world. You need emery cloth, pinchweld primer and the activator for the glass. The prep takes about as long as it does to cut out the old window. Anywhere theres rust on the window seam gets sanded down and primed. you take the emery cloth and lightly surface the bonding surface on the window, then cover where you prepped on the glass with activator.

As long as you do it in 60-80F weather around 20-50% humidity and let the glue cure for a few hours, one should have NO issues with doin their own windows.

P.S. ---- Gen 1 and Gen 2 legacy windows can be cut out with JUST a long knife (2 foot long handle that double sided razor blades attach in the end) tool costs ~20$ USD @ most parts stores and its a nice tool. I've used my long knife for tons of engine/trans pulling. one quick swipe and the hoses are sliced.

Edited by torxxx

and if you miss a few places, it leaks. that and if you do crack that $80 retail windshield, you're now up to $160, plus having to do it yourself. no thank you, thank you very much.

fwiw, i've replaced several windshields on my cj. after cracking the last one (ok, the next to the last one), i decided i won't be doing them any more. i've also replaced the two-piece windshield on my '48 dodge dump truck. won't be doing that again, either. it takes too long for me to do it, and i have to worry about breaking the glass, and dealing with any leaks.

if a company-installed windshield leaks, it's going back for them to take care of it. done.

Some jobs really pay to have a pro do it, and sooby windsheilds are chep to have installed. If you do it yourself and mess it up, it is possible to crack the glass while installing it, after it is installed, or have numerous leaks.

On the plus side by third try you usually get really good at it.

they are unbelievably quick, so with the right tools it must be really easy. they had the last windshield out that i had replaced in my parking lot at work in like 20 minutes, it was crazy.

Safelite has never been the cheapest around here, i think the place i use is local (have their info on my laptop at work).

keep calling around and find a place that does them in shop, you drive there and have them install it. can generally save some coin that way if you can find a place that does it. unfortunately i think few places do since so many folks just have those come-to-you places do it.

i found one just a couple miles from my in-laws house which we visit every couple of months and they were $50 or so cheaper than the average come-to-you Safelite style jokers.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright thanks for the help. Well I ended up having Safelite come out to do it. I didn't want to have to wait at the shop so I used their mobile service. It probably wasn't the cheapest route but it's done now.

The guy commented that it was one of the 'cleanest' installations he's ever done. He said older cars sometimes there's rust around the pillars or if they've had the windshield replaced before it is harder to replace again. So I take it he meant it was a pretty easy job for him. I think it took him about 30 minutes. I should have just stood there and watched to learn and see how hard it really is or probably isn't.

He said he used polyurethane sealant.

The windshield seems I don't know kind of shiny, like I sat down in the driver's seat and it's almost like I can see this faint mirror reflection of the dash in it. I guess maybe since my old one was kind of dull I didn't notice it as much.

It took a few times to get them to come out though. I just filled out all the info on their web site, where the vehicle was stuff like that. So the guy calls me the morning of the appointment and says he's on his way. So then he calls me and says he's knocking at my door do I hear him. Then he starts describing the other Subaru's in my driveway so I realize he's at my home. I say ... um ... I'm at work, that's where the car is, I put all that info in the website when I made the appointment. He says hm it doesn't say that here.

So someone calls later to reschedule and wants to do it the next day. I say the weather report says 100% chance of rain tomorrow, why don't we schedule for today (Thursday) which shows sunny. No he wants to schedule it for the next day. So I say OK. So then naturally it is raining that day and the guy calls and says he can't do it in the rain so they'll have to reschedule. So that brings us to today and the job is now finished.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok this windshield is in, I don't know, I don't like it though. I'm going to have to live with it though. It has noticeable visible distortion at the edges. Like in my peripheral vision I notice it while driving. It's almost like looking through a magnifying glass at the edges. I hate it. The original was not like that at all, it was almost optically perfect even in the corners. I have a feeling I will get used to it but it is still irritating.

• 7 months later...

Well, this windshield lasted about six months. I got hit with a small stone on the freeway about a month ago. It made a very tiny chip. I was planning to get the fixed right away. But then later that day there was a long like 12" crack near the chip. I don't carry glass coverage because I don't carry collision/comprehensive on any vehicles and they wouldn't give me glass coverage without it.

I got used to the bit of distortion. Since it's going to have to be replaced again I'll ask to look through the new windshield this time to make sure it is optically clear/correct.

When I went to buy an EA82 windshield the glass guy told me it would cost him $24.  Too cheap, he said don't get it!  I've had friends with Safelite in their car and it had the annoying distortion.  I'd say go with Pilkington or PPG/PGW.

I put my own glass in.  So often the careless installer scratches the paint with the removal knife and doesn't primer it, then 2 years down the road the hidden rust finally comes out and it's bad.

• Like 1