Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So you think your car has rust?

This trip takes place on a dead end road, with very little traffic/residents and at about 10 mph, no harm was done to anything except the car during the trip. I would never do anything like this in traffic, or around a populated area.

Well I can assure you, this will make you feel much better. I picked this car up about a mile from my house for a good drivetrain. I'm hoping to trade the 2.2 for my next project... Anyway when I showed up the car had a stump holding the rear strut away from the roof, I knew it could only get better from there.... So I purchase the car for a very small sum and start it up runs great, I decide to make the trip home. I pull out of the dudes driveway and the tire the stump is holding up is locked, in turn this causes the stump to fall out, all is good as this lets the tire turn freely :-p The ride goes well for about 1/4 a mile. At this point the smoke has filled the cabin to the point I can no longer see, due to the tire rubbing on the body (in fact I can still smell the rubber on myself over an hour later) I pull over for a second to let it air out. I make the rest of the smelly smoky trip fine until the tire explodes about five feet from my driveway, luckily the tow hook was still solid and attached to the car keeping it off the ground and providing me with support to make it the rest of the way to the cars final resting place, in front of the garage.

4_zps25a4507d.jpg

2_zpsa5fe36fb.jpg

These are the good ones...

1_zps20df7afb.jpg

3_zps9630f1f0.jpg

ROFL - that poor car!

Mine has a fair amount of rust happening, but nothing like that! Holy Cats!

Even the old GL wasnt that bad, altho the front subframe had rotted out making it unsafe to run on the road anymore. but the rear shocks were still where they were supposed to be.

and Texan - that would be a log in that clip, not a stump - still funny tho! LOL (altho it was on it's way to becoming a stump! LOL)

Yeah we see some rusty ones up here, but this is the first time I have seen a legacy get this bad. All the old gens have been gone for years. Usually they body gets too far gone to pass inspection and people scrap them. That or the subframes detach themselves from the car and the owners give up on them. Tuesday it goes for scrap. I pulled the perfectly running 2.2 out this morning. I may have found an Outback shell to swap it into...

...in fact I can still smell the rubber on myself over an hour later...

Holy Cow! ... I've never seen a "Recent" car in such rusted out conditions... well, I've never seen such amount of Rust on Any car Before...

Good Idea to buy the Whole car, so you can take out the Fuel Pump, Wiring harness, etc... along the engine & Trans, but could I ask you How you gonna send the Rusted out Body to the Crusher... in a Tow Truck? ... or you plan to weld something to lift the rear tires enough to tow it with another vehicle?

Kind Regards.

Holy Cow! ... I've never seen a "Recent" car in such rusted out conditions... well, I've never seen such amount of Rust on Any car Before...

Good Idea to buy the Whole car, so you can take out the Fuel Pump, Wiring harness, etc... along the engine & Trans, but could I ask you How you gonna send the Rusted out Body to the Crusher... in a Tow Truck? ... or you plan to weld something to lift the rear tires enough to tow it with another vehicle?

Kind Regards.

We see a lot of rust up this way, I'm already seeing 2004 imprezas/legacys with floor/subframe issues, but I have yet to see a newer gen car like this with a total structural failure. We have a truck and a trailer we use to hall cars off for scrap, we had to push it on with the tractor as it no longer sits high enough to get over the ramps :D

I haven't seen something like this in a long time. A friend of mine in college (back in 2004) had a 1994 Chevy Cavalier wagon that was this rusty. One day we went to the liquor store on a Friday to buy about 20 cases of beer for a party. Hit a pot hole on the way back home and with all the weight in the car the strut came up through the wheel well just like that. What a great way to destroy your car!