Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'87 GL 4WD wagon-czny

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 czny

czny

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • Azusa

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:42 PM

Decided to go for aftermarket Wildwood 260-8419 proportioning valves - 2 of them to keep the divided brake system( Frt left & Rt rear + Frt right & Lft rear)

Bought some Edelmann fittings: 4 ea inline tube conns, # 274000(10 x 1.0 mm Invert flare): 4 ea 3/16 invert flare x 1/8 NPTM 90* elbows,#122320: 4 ea 3/16 tube nuts, parts tore only had the long 3/8-24 nuts, # 121030, 1 ea 3/16" x 51" L metric line with 10 x 1.0 mm nuts.

Removed orig prop valve & replaced with 2 tube unions, 3/16 tube clamps.Attached File  2017-05-27-353.jpg   104.29K   23 downloads

Replumbed DS & PS brake tubing from firewall unions & added Wildwood prop valves on top where space saver spare used to reside.

Attached File  DS brake union.jpg   151.06K   24 downloadsAttached File  Wildwood Prop valves_a.jpg   108.01K   27 downloadsAttached File  Wildwood Prop vales_b.jpg   148.8K   25 downloads

Brake line from top of hill holder was removed & replaced with new line to prop valve. See diagonal line in front of booster.

Yes, some here disagree with using pipe threads in a braking system, but if you use a high pres sealant such as Leak Lock it will be fine. I've used this stuff for years for steam, hi pres hydraulic & other demanding applications & it will be fine. These Wildwood valves are 1/8 NPTF in & out ports. There are metric valves available but these are EU bubble flare only.

Test drove wagon after bleeding with initial valve adj at 4 turns in. Gave both valves one turn more & will see if more is needed. But for now the braking is back where it began after the rear disc conversion.

Edited by czny, 03 June 2017 - 01:49 PM.

#52 Torry33

Torry33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Libby, Montana

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:14 AM

Nice build man!I'm running 235/75/15 on my 86 w/EJ swap no problem.5 inch lift,i like the clearance for Montana back roadin!

#53 czny

czny

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • Azusa

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:03 PM

Nice build man!I'm running 235/75/15 on my 86 w/EJ swap no problem.5 inch lift,i like the clearance for Montana back roadin!

Thanks Torry.

Given that Photosuckit has sent me a ransom email, we'll see how much longer my pics display now.

No one likes being extorted!

EDIT: Photosuckers has seen fit to close my account due to Facebookers abusing a public folder. Thanks ginks!

Edited by czny, 19 July 2017 - 06:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users