Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question..2.2 That has been Sitting long time

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1996 2.2 engine with about 42k/mi for a conversion... it has not been sitting completely outside venerable to the elements, but stored in an open air garage..the internals of the engine have never been turned over for 10+ yrs, not even by hand..I live in a high moist part of the country and my question is...would a rust ring develop in the cylinder / ring area ??..I wouldn't want to buy the unit if it is going to use excessive amounts of oil..

Did it have an exhaust manifold on it or were the ports open to air?

You can tell if it has rust rings if you try and turn the crank by hand. If you can't turn it at least one full turn without it hitting a sticky spot, walk away.

You should also be able to feel the compression as you turn it by hand.

A low miles engine that's left to sit isn't worth more than a high miles engine that runs. So pay accordingly. These engines don't really wear out from running, 250k and still going great is normal for engines that got even the most basic maintenance.

If it had sat installed in a car, there'd be no worry as they are sealed up pretty well at that point. Sitting on a stand is a different issue.

Yes, but again an engine installed in a car and left to sit is very different than one left on a stand. When the intake tube/air filter and exhaust manifold/cat are still on and the radiator is hooked up, they do a pretty good job of keeping the internals of the engine dry.

I've gotten cars that have sat for 30 years in a field running by just feeding them fuel. I have also had to hone and re-ring motors that sat for 6mo's on an engine stand in a damp garage

Started my wife's grandmother's car that sat in a garage for 20 years with just an oil change and fresh gasoline.

.. have done the same thing with some of the older engines I have installed..but they seem to all at that time use to much oil in my opinion..for the last 11 yrs I have been also driving a vw diesel that sat for near 9yrs, low miles, but uses oil..the former owner said it never used any oil and interesting enough the yrs that I have used it has never increased in oil consumption..600mi per qt..steady even consumption since I got it and will still start in the coldest mornings...

I just installed an EJ18 into my GF's new Loyale. EJ swap FTW!!!

That engine sat in the car, outside, at a Junkyard for 3 1/2 years at least (that's how long I saw it there)

Fired it up and it purrs like kitty. Still has a miss under load, could be the old plugs I haven't changed out yet.....also still no exhaust or O2 sensor so that could be part of it too.

Anyhow.....I guess my point is, why not give it a try?

worst case it will burn a bit of oil and smoke. If it does, then re-ring it. Bottom end should still be good with 48k miles, so no need to split the case.

I just installed an EJ18 into my GF's new Loyale. EJ swap FTW!!!

That engine sat in the car, outside, at a Junkyard for 3 1/2 years at least (that's how long I saw it there)

Fired it up and it purrs like kitty. Still has a miss under load, could be the old plugs I haven't changed out yet.....also still no exhaust or O2 sensor so that could be part of it too.

Anyhow.....I guess my point is, why not give it a try?

worst case it will burn a bit of oil and smoke. If it does, then re-ring it. Bottom end should still be good with 48k miles, so no need to split the case.

..most likely I will buy and remove the heads to replace the gasket need it or not..generally speaking, just to good of a motor to let go bye..

have taken apart many engines that had damage from sitting that were run with rust in cly makes a mess but will run one had pitts in cly up to 10 thow deep and had stuck the rings to piston ran supriseingly good just smoked i find the rust damage is were the pistons stoped and sat just above that point if is on lower part of cly may be useabble but if on the top of cly needs a rebore