Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1st generation Outback ... sort of review today

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/cc-capsule-comparison/

Thats why i keep blu

"Next to the (2008) Impreza’s poor visibility, chintzy interior, and soggy suspension, the Outback felt nimble, alive, honest, and direct. Sure it was crude, but it had more of the low-inertia fun that made compact cars great than its decade-younger “compact” cousin."

I think I can go one better: I'm currently driving a 2.2 Impreza Brighton... :headbang:2750lbs of distilled "Subaruness". Unfortunately it's an autotragic instead of a stick but I _am_ only about $650 into the car at this point so I didn't have much choice when shopping. It's light, nimble, and efficient.

That article was an interesting read though. I think most 'car guys' can agree that cars are getting bigger, fatter and softer as time goes on though. For example: I used to have a 97 civic: 2400lbs... my wife now has an 07 civic: 2800lbs

I guess we have to fit all those extra airbags, power everything, and big swoopy dashes into the cars now so they get bigger and heavier.

My first car was a 1988 Pontiac Firefly (Suzuki swift, chevy sprint, geo metro, etc). I think that was about 1900lbs of car with it's pavement-shredding 1 litre 3cylinder that made a whole 53hp :)

It was fun to drive... as long as you didn't think about safety :D

Overall I'm pretty happy with the feel and performance of under-3000lbs subarus though. There's enough car around you that you don't feel like a beer can pilot but it's not a big wallowing SUV either.

i had a 78 civic, talk about small.

But yes since we want it all, and for all of it to be safe, they do get bigger. The closest thing to a Justy is a suzuki SVX and they are almost the same size, just the suzuki is taller.

I had a 77 Civic, EB2, 1200cc of raw fury! Haha. All things aside the best non-Subaru car I've ever owned. That motor was bulletproof!