Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, i have cleaned my MAF sensor, changed my MAF, run cleaner through the Idle Air Control Valve, and cleaned my throttle body and still my idle stays around 1500rpm at traffic lights. Sometimes it doesnt happen and sometimes it does. i have checked for vaccum leaks and found nothing. I have no "check engine" lights. This is getting pretty annoying and difficult to drive. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

Could the throttle cables be a little too tight? Or a cable is sticking?

How about the TPS, have you checked it's output for a smooth change from closed to WOT? - you can check it with an analog ohm meter after making sure there's no binding of the cables - pull the connector off and check the resistance readings. (You can get some of the FSMs here to find out which pin is which) The reading should be smooth throughout the entire throttle range. If it's jumpy, it probably needs replacement.

With the proper adapter cable and software, you can also get those readings through the ECU via the ODB-II or SSM ports.

Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone for your info. I believe it has some thing to do with the MAF. So i bought some brake clean and when the idle starts to act up, i spray the brake clean through the air box and the idle drops imediately, like the MAF is dirty. so if/when it acts up again, i will try this again and see if it helps. If so, i guess i will be buying a new sensor. Thanks again for all you info. Its great to have people on here who can help in times of need.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks everyone for your info. I believe it has some thing to do with the MAF. So i bought some brake clean and when the idle starts to act up, i spray the brake clean through the air box and the idle drops imediately, like the MAF is dirty. so if/when it acts up again, i will try this again and see if it helps. If so, i guess i will be buying a new sensor. Thanks again for all you info. Its great to have people on here who can help in times of need.

Don't use brake cleaner on a MAF. Use mass air flow meter cleaner. Its specific and available at parts stores. Not as easy to find but its around. My OReilly store has it here for sure and Napa keeps it in the back.

so it started acting up again. i changed the MAF and it didnt change anything. now i am leaning more towards the IAC valve. i have pulled this off before and cleaned it with no improvements. i dont want to run out and start buying parts, but this is driving me crazy when it happens!!!!

Intermittent? Is it related to air temps or humidity levels? Does it show up or leave after a good bump in the road? Did you get a chance to check the TPS and throttle cables?

Have you tried pulling the IAC electrical connector while it's misbehaving and does the idle change?

This is quite puzzling.

:popcorn:

It will run fine for a couple days or so. Then just show up on the way to work on most occasions. I went to mess with it on lunch today and to my surprise it was idling good as soon as i started it up. It ran good on the way home. It sat for about 2 hrs, then drove to the store and half way to the store(4 or 5 miles), it was idling high again when i came to a stop at the traffic light. Went into the store for about 15 mins and when i started it to leave, it idled fine all the way home. It seems very puzzling to me as well (and very annoying) Thanks to everyone for all the info so far!!! I would love to have this fixed in the near future;)

Ok, so after all of this, i finally get a "check engine" light. The code reads "PO122, throttle/pedal position sensor switch A circuit low." Would this suggest that the TPS sensor is bad and make my car idle high sometimes??? I know i can just buy a new sensor, but then i am not sure how to calibrate it. ANy info would be great.

Most likely it is bad. However, we should try to adjust it to see of it is just a wee out of spec.

If your TPS has a three pin connector, you can follow the instructions in the FSM for the 97 Legacy in the link I posted earlier in this thread. They're close enough in this situation.

So after a trip to the local junkyard, i found a 97 legacy with the 2.2 and grabbed the TPS. I installed it in the driveway at home and "adjusted it by ear" and the idle has been fine ever since. Then i was having the problem of being able to push down the gas pedal about 1 inch with no changes in RPMs. So finally at work today, i adjusted it properly and the car runs like new :headbang: I am glad to have this thing running good again!! Thanks to all who threw in there comments and helpful info to help out. Thanks again everyone!!!