Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how do i know the timing belt will last

Well that depends on if it's a 96 model year or a 96 build date. Cars built after 6/96 are 97 model years which are interference.

The timing belt spec was upped to 105 a couple years later, so with it having the belt already replaced it should be good to 210k miles.

The gamble is whether they replaced the tensioner, idlers and the water pump at 105k, or if they put just a belt on it. The idlers are what commonly fail, so asking them to go 200k is a risk.

Well that depends on if it's a 96 model year or a 96 build date. Cars built after 6/96 are 97 model years which are interference.

I've heard this, but never been able to confirm.

I can't find any differences between any of the single port EJ22 heads I've examined. Although I didn't compare Cams in any excact way, they just look the same.

Do you or anyone else have some confirmation on the interference aspect? To me it seems they didn't change til the Phase II engines in 99-2001

Believe me, I've seen enough grenaded '97-98 EJ22s to confirm, they ARE interferential. I forget exactly what they changed (I think one thing is the length of the piston skirt), but that date is correct.

Also consider how extreme the climate is: very dry/hot conditions wreak havoc on rubber. Also extremes of hot to cold to hot.

Emily

www.ccrengines.com

look for the build date on the the sticker on the bottom of the driver door. they put them there for a while.

i didn't think the id plate had the build date on it, but it may.

but unless you are ordering pistons you don't need it. 97 is an interference engine and the timing belt interval is 60k miles. there is a 105k, california belt, you can use, but eve if it was used last time, were the idlers replaced??? the failure of any part the belt touches will cause valve damage $$$$. change it all now and don't worry about it for 60k miles.

replace the timing belt, all the idlers, and the water pump. the 97 should have the old style 2 part tensioner, hydraulic piston and separate idler. the idler should be replaced the piston is probably good. but if it is leaking or not working properly , replace it.

you can get good quality parts for a fair price on ebay from ''theimportexperts''. i would re-use the bolts that are on your car. and torque to spec. DO NOT over torque the bolts.

Edited by johnceggleston

Alright. So production date is August 9th 1996 so my engine is interference. Any timing belts kits you guys recommend???

you can get good quality parts for a fair price on ebay from ''theimportexperts''. i would re-use the bolts that are on your car. and torque to spec. DO NOT over torque the bolts.

replace the timing belt, all the idlers, and the water pump. the 97 should have the old style 2 part tensioner, hydraulic piston and separate idler. the idler should be replaced the piston is probably good. but if it is leaking or not working properly , replace it.

the piston style tensioners do not fail often. Edited by johnceggleston

• 1 year later...