Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A tiny off roading Daihatsu? Opinions please!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fishboy

fishboy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Australia

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:43 AM

In pursuit of the ultimate super-efficient vehicle, I am trying to work out whether this fine beast of a machine could be made to handle a bit of off-roading from time to time. The kind of off-roading I’m talking about would be the occasional jaunt in the woods on dirt/mud/gravel sort of stuff.
Posted Image

Daihatsu Centro/Handivan - 3 cylinders / 660cc of unbridled muscle.

Now before you laugh and click out of this thread please hear me out! J

PROS:
- Super low fuel consumption at 5.5L per 100km (43MPG)
- Weight: a mere 640 kilograms (1400 lbs) curb weight.

CONS:
- It lacks 4 wheel drive (it is front wheel drive)
- It’s ground clearance is not great

So I was thinking, maybe I could get away with the odd bit of off-roading despite it only being front wheel-drive. I could fit some grippy tyres to it (or perhaps some snow chains or something) to improve the traction. I expect I’ll still get bogged fairly frequently but no matter – I could also fit a small (hand?) winch to the front, or even carry a rope + block and tackle in the trunk....being so light-weight it would be super easy to pull out and resume driving.
Maybe I could even raise up the ground clearance a little (do you think such a thing might be possible on this sort of car?)

I mean, I know normally many would be inclined to say “nah mate...you need a 4WD”, but I was thinking this thing is so tiny and light perhaps you could view it more like you would a motorbike than a typical big old 2WD car...

Thoughts??

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by fishboy, 24 September 2012 - 04:48 AM.

#2 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Gold Subscribers
  • 4,978 posts
  • Texas

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:01 AM

yeah, a 'come-along' winch could pull that thing outta almost any trouble.

Posted Image

I'd think you'd want a lot bigger tires - which means gearing is gonna be a problem, maybe a different gearset in the transmission?

could be a fun project.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan, 24 September 2012 - 08:07 AM.

#3 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,836 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

You'll see many "Kei Cars" in my Country (Honduras) Such like that Daihatsu,

which was sold here as Daihatsu "Mira", also came in Pick up Shape:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Daihatsu also sold here the more Luxury Daihatsu "Cuore",

and the Bigger Daihatsu "Sirion" / Subaru Justy

(there are much more kei cars from other many Brands)

but no one came 4WD in that size...

except certain Subarus, like the Subaru Rex / Sherpa

or the Micro buses / pickups Subaru Sambar / Domingo.

So, if you want to go offroad with that small bodied car, you must Lift it,

in order to let bigger tires get in. Also you will use more the First and Second Gear.

I've seen Lifted for Off-Road other three Cyl. cars, such like the Subaru Justy...

Posted Image

Posted Image

...or the Suzuki Might Boy:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Good Luck with the Project!

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo, 24 September 2012 - 03:36 PM.
Misspelled Word.

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,619 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

Why not a Geo Tracker, people do lift them and they are very efficient.

#5 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,836 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

Yes, I Agree. Good Idea.

The Geo Tracker / Suzuki Sidekick is Frequently used for off-road here, with great results.

#6 fishboy

fishboy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Australia

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

Have looked into the Suzuki Sidekick (Vitara here) and other mini SUVs but I've got my heart set on something tiny like this - assuming I can make it work.

It looks like you're all recommending larger wheels. Does this make such a big difference? I was hoping to keep approx the same wheel diameter to maintain it's on-road efficiency. Would just some more grippy tyres suffice? Or is it going to be totally useless off road with such small wheels?

#7 ferox

ferox

King of the Echo People

• Members
  • 853 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:17 PM

Have looked into the Suzuki Sidekick (Vitara here) and other mini SUVs but I've got my heart set on something tiny like this - assuming I can make it work.

It looks like you're all recommending larger wheels. Does this make such a big difference? I was hoping to keep approx the same wheel diameter to maintain it's on-road efficiency. Would just some more grippy tyres suffice? Or is it going to be totally useless off road with such small wheels?

I had a girlfriend that had a Geo Metro that had larger tires on it. I drove that thing into places you would never guess it could make, and it did it without trouble. The ground clearance is key. With such a small engine you might want to have a larger set of wheels for trips with offroad potential and the smaller set for road driving. I know Diahatsu also makes a 1.0L turbo diesel that gets between 70-110 miles per gallon. That would a pretty sweet option too.

#8 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,619 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

Key is ground clearance, and protecting the fragile parts, like the oil pan and diff. The squirrels can't be allowed to escape.

#9 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,619 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

get a short enough wheelbase you could drive ontop of any rock someone else is trying to drive over :)

#10 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Gold Subscribers
  • 4,978 posts
  • Texas

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

get a short enough wheelbase you could drive ontop of any rock someone else is trying to drive over :)

When I had a tiny 78 Honda with 12 inch wheels, I would tell folks that, what was a 'dip' to them was just down one hill and up another for me!

#11 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,619 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:30 PM

When I had a tiny 78 Honda with 12 inch wheels, I would tell folks that, what was a 'dip' to them was just down one hill and up another for me!

:clap:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users