Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 sub-model question

So, you purchased a New EA82... the Whole Engine? ... or Long Block only?

Does you old engine was Carbureted or EFi? ...

1987 is a Year where Subaru Sold (in USA) some EA82 with Carburetor along many EFi, so I believe that it is important to know if your Subie was originally with Carb or EFi, in order to better help you.

2WD EA82 with Carburetor came with the Nippon Denso Disty, while 4WD EA82 with Carburetor came with the Hitachi Disty; as far as I Know, the 2WD distys has faster advance curve than the 4WD ones.

Kind Regards.

i purchased a new EA82 for my 87 GL. the distributor is different. i went to the junk yard and noticed its the same on all GLs from 1989+ my question is: is there a way to wire the newer distributor to my current harness or do i need to replace the harness and/or change to a newer ECU?

If you have the SPFI Hitachi with the clip on cap, it's an optical, so you can probably wire in the newer optical dizzy.

Doug

Edited by Quidam

in 88 they switched to a disty that used a connector instead of a set of wires with ring terminals on it. if its a snap on cap its a carb engine/disty if it screws down its a EFI engine/disty.

The only difference I've noticed between 87 and 88 was that connector and it can simply be spliced onto the new one, or eliminated all together.

There is no need for a diff ecu or harness, just get a wiring diagram of the 87 and the 88 and make the connector work

If you have a 2 wire disty, its carb'd btw. All EA82 EFI used a 4 wire disty. One more thing, if its got a vacumn advance on it with a vac port (single one its carb'd) if its a vac advance with 2 vac ports on it, its a 85/86 EFI disty (avoid those I've had so many problems with their early crank angle system in those distys)

use the distributor from the old engine. For 87 with spfi, the disty is the same as later models, but the plug is different. the pigtail wire on the disty is removable and swappable. the 87 has a round style connector and is 87 specific, but can be found on 86 gl-10 with spfi.

Think of the 87 harness as an 88 design with 86 style connectors. the 87 harness is a one year design.

you can probably clip the plug and splice them, but i would recommend swapping the pigtail or just using an 87 disty.

in 88 they switched to a disty that used a connector instead of a set of wires with ring terminals on it. if its a snap on cap its a carb engine/disty if it screws down its a EFI engine/disty.

Well, just to be clear. I have an "87 SPFI optical with snap on cap, black round, four wire plug.

Doug

Well, just to be clear. I have an "87 SPFI optical with snap on cap, black round, four wire plug.

Doug

You've got the oddball year with the round connector.

The disty's are the same, just the connectors are different.

easiest thing to do would be to install you're old disty in the new engine.

Or you could scavenge a harness side connector from a junkyard car, and splice it into you're harness.....so you can use the more common square plug type.