Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sputtering on 85 Brat

SubieBrat

My '85 Brat is sputtering between 1500 and 3000 rpm and I have no clue what is going on. its been doing this for almost a year, gradually getting worse. At first it only did it at 2000-2500 rpms for about 1-2 maybe 3 minutes, now its does it for close to 10-15 minutes. I have rebuilt the carb, replaced spark plugs, plug wires, air filter, and I just replaced the alternator. With each attempt it get worse. Can anyone help me?

• 3 weeks later...

they make manual choke kits for around $10. they are universal, though I would double check to make sure, nothings ever truly universal.

building one isnt that difficult eather. basically you just hook an arm or pin to act as a lever and put a cable on it. you can use the choke thats on it and just make an arm to actuate it manually.

for some clarification though, when at operating temp your choke should be fully open. I cant tell from your post if you are saying that you think it being fully opened is causeing it, or if you wired it open to fix it.

just in case, when cold the top butterfly should be mostly closed (choked off), and when at operating temp it should be fully open. If you just need it drivable, get some wire and actually tie the top butterfly open so it cant close. you will need to manually hold the rpms at 1500 for a minute with the pedal, then it should be warm enough to idle on its own to op temp.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I installed a cable choke. Now sometimes it bogs down. Yesterday I was leaving the library and I hit 3,000 rpm and it bogged down to 2,000 rpm and then stalled completely. I started it back up and it ran fine. No other problems. It did something like this before but it never stalled and it only happens once in while. Should i be worried?

idk if I would be worried, but its a sign of a problem.

id start by doing a normal check and tune. if your choke was messed up before then the carb may be tuned to make up for it. now that it is operating differently then its out of tune.

also with a manual now you have to watch that its not being bumped or pushed in, which can cause problems.

just pay attention to it for a while and see if you can figure out what causes it, then start from there.

• 2 months later...