Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! New Knock sensor-now car won't stay started

Hi guys and gals, I was receiving a knock sensor code(98 legacy awd 2.2) so I reset the code. Sure enough after my first restart I got the code again. So I quickly installed a new Knock sensor. Now it starts and runs bad the car just dies if I don't ride the gas pedal. There is no longer a Check Engine Light. The car ran fine without the knock sensor installed. Any ideas? BTW I changed the air filter at the same time. Not sure if there is a sensor that would effect idle for that. Thanks for any replies jonwikan@earthlink.net

Oh boy you are right, I knocked IACV off the air filter box I unplugged the knock sensor and it still ran rough so that was a tell all. My mess up.I remember doing that in my younger days when I was actually a mechanic. Pretty rusty now but I did get that knock sensor in and out in about 5 minutes. Thank you magnet. This "newer" emissions stuff can be a wild goose chase. Just out of curiosity, how long will my computer store a knock sensor code and keep the light on? I did pull the negative batt cable so it will reset I am assuming. I guess I should erase this whole post. ha ha thanks, Jon

BTW does anyone know what the idle speed should be on the 2.2 legacy? It runs good but may be slightly low in the 400-600 range;the lower amount when ac is off the higher when ac is on. Is there an adjustment on these aside from the 2 throttle cables? It is a manual shift and never dies but I thought the emissions test needed a higher idle. j

Edited by jwikan

BTW does anyone know what the idle speed should be on the 2.2 legacy? It runs good but may be slightly low in the 400-600 range;the lower amount when ac is off the higher when ac is on. Is there an adjustment on these aside from the 2 throttle cables? It is a manual shift and never dies but I thought the emissions test needed a higher idle. j

If it idles smooth and doesn't have any problems, leave it alone. There's no idle adjust. It's controlled by the iacv, and if it's not idling right, it needs to have the valve cleaned.

If it works, don't fix it. The tach on my old 96 read low, I thought it had a problem. But a scangauge actually told me it was idling dead nuts at 700. So it's probably fine.

AC off , warm idle speed for manual trans is only 650-700 rpm.

AC on should come up to maybe 750.

No adjustment for idle speed. If you make adjustments to the throttle stop the ECU will just bring the speed back down to the proper setting.

The best thing you can do is clean the IACV with throttle body cleaner or seafoam.