Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

99 Impreza Outback Sport Suspension Issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 UMT

UMT

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Pound, WI.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

99 Impreza Outback Sport.

Ok, guys.. Been meaning to replace the struts on this car anyway but have developed at 'knock' noise at times when hitting a bump on rough roads. I thought it was maybe due for ball joints also but jacked up front end and put a small pry bar on the ball joints to check for looseness but they seem tight. Checked everything I could under the car, and can't find anything loose anywhere.

Any ideas what else I could check for? 206k miles on the car.

Thanks,
UMT

#2 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 959 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

Sway bar links and/or bushings would be my guess, but I only had that happen on my minivan, which is well known for this type of problem.

#3 UMT

UMT

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Pound, WI.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

Looked at those and looks like they (like everything else under there) maybe need replacing but don't think that's the problem.

Any other ideas?

Right now, I think I'm going to start with the struts and take it from there.

Thanks,
UMT

#4 99ImprezaOSport

99ImprezaOSport

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Bethesda, MD

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:59 PM

Years ago, my Volkswagen front struts would actual become loose at the top mount and knock, especially on rough roads.

With so many components moving in the suspension there can be one or numerous things creating the knocking noise.

#5 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,939 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:59 PM

Check the inner tie rod ends. For some reason they like to wear out on these cars and can be hard to identify. If the steering rack boots have ever been split and replaced there's a good chance the inner rod joint got dirt/sand in it and is now worn just enough to clunk every now and then.

Strut mounts on these seem to go bad as well, but it's worth checking the inner rod ends.

#6 ocei77

ocei77

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • Monticello,NY

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

Probably struts. I have the exact same vehicle. Had same issues, but I knew the struts had to be replaced. When removed, the strut came down by its own weight!
Do search on replacing, for you don't have to separate the brake lines to remove or replace.

O.

#7 UMT

UMT

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Pound, WI.

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

Probably struts. I have the exact same vehicle. Had same issues, but I knew the struts had to be replaced. When removed, the strut came down by its own weight!
Do search on replacing, for you don't have to separate the brake lines to remove or replace.

O.

Yeah, I'm aware of that one.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users