Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Outback 3.0 H6 vdc wagon, high miles. Engine well taken care of , new plugs,new igniters,no leaks,knocks or ticks. Oil always changed up to date, battery 1 year old,filter clean,runs great. Up to yesterday night. Parked car about 20 min. every thing was fine. Car turns over fast but no fire. Can hear fuel pump come on when gas lid is open. All fuse are good. Full tank of gas. No check engine light before turning off. So what can it be ????? Has this happend to anyone else here. Need help asap please.

there is a known issue with a gasket / o-ring and cap on the fuel pump. i have not dealt with it so i'm not clear on the method of failure, but the result is that the pump runs but fuel is not delivered, it leaks back in to the tank.

here is a link to a thread with some info. there are others. i saved this one because it has a part number in it for the o-ring. there is another one with a part number for the cap as well.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/43713-help-outback-died-morning-2.html

Edited by johnceggleston

*** i agree - how many miles? could be quite a few things. timing chain would have me wondering although failure of those is almost unheard of.

the gas cap oring is my guess. you can check in a matter of seconds - simply pull the fuel line in the engine bay, turn the key over and look at the gas flow. if there's nothing or it's minimal then that's your issue.

you will need a new fuel pump metal cap. they aren't sold as a part though and you have to buy the complete fuel pump ($$$$). there's is a metal cap that fits, search for it and you should find the part number and all.

caps are the same for 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder so you can pilfer from either.

if you need an emergency fix you can try to reinstall the cap with a new oring...or let the original one dry so it shrinks back down to normal size...and then install the old cap with a healthy arrangement of hose clamps or heavy duty zip ties to hold the cap and oring in the place. it might work...it might not, but should be able to buy you a couple days while you get a new part.

The 2004 used the in-tank filter, and the new filter (avail. aftermarket) comes with a new (deeper) cap that fits. 35 bucks i think.

It is rumored the '04 metal cap alone is available from the dealer, but far from confirmed.

I think we need to get a worldwide network together of people harvesting their caps from their 4cyl outbacks if/when they replace the pump.