Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help Needed... Wont crank over

2K4 STI

My 87 RX m/t has been sitting for a few months. I know the battery is dead but even if I try and jump start it, it doesn't even crank over at all. No key Chime,no lights or anything. I checked the fuses and replaced the fusable links and still nothing.

Anything else I can look for?

I would try and push start it ,but I live on a hill and if it doesn't start that way I have no way to get it back up.

It has always ran great and did when I parked it last.

Thank in advance

if you run a battery completely dead and try to start on it, it can fry the cables that attach to it. Im not sure of the science behind it, but I had a similar problem once and my dad told me what to look for on the phone. sure enough the cable itself was melted.

dead batteries aren't actual completely empty of charge ussually. Jump starting it isnt the same as having a decent battey in it, it just gives it a nudge.

try actually switching the battery and checking the cables to make sure they are intact and not melted or used for squirrel bedding.

Clean your terminals, on my WRX I had the same problem shortly after I got it, pulled the terminal covers off and the corrosion was so bad that the positive terminal had been completely eaten thru. Checking fusible links/fuses is always a good idea too. Buying a multimeter really helped me out when I had electrical problems.

Disconnect the old battery as if it is really dead then it will suck all the current and stop the car starting.Either substitute a known good one or try running purely off the jump vehicle battery,Do not allow it to run and have the jump leads come loose or it can damage the charging system,Better to swap out the battery

Disconnect the old battery as if it is really dead then it will suck all the current and stop the car starting.Either substitute a known good one or try running purely off the jump vehicle battery,Do not allow it to run and have the jump leads come loose or it can damage the charging system,Better to swap out the battery

I was going to try the jump without the battery, but trying to convince the wife to hold the cables while I try and start it didn't go over so well,LOL

Im just going to try a new battery and go from there.

So I decided to try the jump battery method first before running and getting a battery.

With the cables hooked up to just the positive and negative leads "no battery in place" and the other end to my new bmw battery, it clicked for a second,like it was going to try and turn over then back to nothing at all.

Now I'm not even sure a new battery is going to do the trick. Well partially since the old one is dead.

Anything else to check?

try the new battery first. the fact you got something after removing the dead one should give you hope. the old battery may have been internally shorted, causing no power at all, but no battery is not enough juice, so therefore, a new battery should work.

So I decided to try the jump battery method first before running and getting a battery.

With the cables hooked up to just the positive and negative leads "no battery in place" and the other end to my new bmw battery, it clicked for a second,like it was going to try and turn over then back to nothing at all.

Now I'm not even sure a new battery is going to do the trick. Well partially since the old one is dead.

Anything else to check?

Do you have an Autozone nearby? They can test the battery for free. Take it out and take it into them. Since you got a click with it removed and jumper to jumper, I'd say the battery is at least part of the problem.