Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Legacy 2.2 Non turbo Manual Trans.

MIL cam on last Friday. Code is P0170. Car runs and idles just fine. No hiccups. No smoke. Front oxygen sensor replaced about a thousand miles ago, Bosch, OEM (expensive) one. Bad timing for this since I have a PA state inspection appointment for tomorrow and won't pass the "emmissions" test if the Check Engine Light is on.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike V.

OK, just to put you guys' minds at ease....the mechanic at the repair shop who inspected my vehicle reset the OBDII, drove the car for about 15 miles (CEL did not come back on) and was able to then plug in and it passed the emmissions test. So I got my sticker and am good for another year.

Greg - Thank you for the reference. I will have to think about this and will post back with comments and questions.

Mike V.

If the CEL comes back on then you might end up getting really lousy gas mileage. O2 sensors sense the amount of oxygen after combustion and the computer adjusts the fuel-air mixture accordingly. If the O2 sensors are bad and a CEL is set then the car goes into default mode, which means super bad MPG. Worth it to fix it.

I hear ya. 'The law' is always about 25% stupid no matter where you go (or what you think). Even prison guards know that.

Usually I just clear the code by disconnecting the battery and make the appointment soon thereafter before the codes reappear.