Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wow! Tire won't come off?

I also make sure to leave at least 1 of the lugs on a few turns so the tire/wheel doesn't hit, damage, or hurt someone/something when it comes loose.

That is correct, sir. My Standard Poodle had to dodge the first one! BUT, he's really quick and no damage done. Ha.

i try to hit the tire, but i've hit the wheel a few times. i don't have alloy wheels, though, so i don't really care.

fwiw, i've put at least 175K on the rear wheel bearings after using the sledge pretty hard. as far as i know, the bearings are original, and stand at 287K today.

i'll be honest. my car isn't pretty, but it isn't all rusted out, either. it's serviceable transportation, relatively cheap, and completely paid for (over ten years ago).

I usually never hit the actual rim when doing this. I give it a good whack on the side wall. It's plenty to break it loose, and you don't hurt anything in the process.

i'll respectfully disagree. prior to prepping the mating surface many years ago (7 to 9), i hit the sidewall over 30 times with a sledge and the wheel wouldn't budge. it finally came off after about 7 solid whacks on the wheel itself.

i'll respectfully disagree. prior to prepping the mating surface many years ago (7 to 9), i hit the sidewall over 30 times with a sledge and the wheel wouldn't budge. it finally came off after about 7 solid whacks on the wheel itself.

There are always exceptions. I just wouldn't do it as a first attempt.